Rammy's Rabbit Thread

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The white buck has red eyes, right? He could carry anything. Every white rabbit carries a B gene that doesnt influence their color, but gets passed to offspring. B gene determines brown (bb) or black (Bb or BB). You would breed your REW to a rabbit you know the B gene. You know Leo is bb. If you breed him to your REW and get amber, brown, or lilac kits, then you know your REW is Bb (appears black, carries brown) or bb (appears brown). If you get castor, black, or blue you know your REW carries BB or Bb. If you get browns and blacks then she is Bb.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My brain just fried. o_O Im going to reread your post til it sinks in. Thank you so much for the info. Definetly am learning alot about genetics.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Take it one gene at a time. B, D, and En were easiest for me to understand at first. It took a while before I started to get it and I still need to look up details. Have fun puzling it all out! Every litter gives you more information to fill in the missing pieces.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I dont know if its true or not, but with the looming second lockdowns approaching, there is rumor that the truck drivers are going to strike from the 26th thru the 29th. Panic buying has picked up in some areas and restrictions on how much you can buy are being enforced again, so how long before the shelves are bare again if this happens?
It will, Im afraid, mean the final kick to collapse our nation.

nah, we're tougher than that and tougher than this virus. just need to be patient and help each other out. try not to panic or pass along harmful and unsubstantiated conspiracy theories or other things that people may act upon which causes harm to others. (and i'm not saying that by posting the above you are doing that, but i think it is a good point to bring up to people who seem on the edge). help talk people down and encourage them to find the good things they can in what is around them.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been stocking up since last winter. Yesterday I bought a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol. BJ asked why, when we already had one of each and i told him because last winter there was NONE. Need to get more kleenax and paper goods. Got plenty of flour, sugar, yeast, etc. We have plenty of food, not worried about that.

We as a nation, won't collapse. Even with draconian shut downs, which I don't agree with, we will be ok. help your neighbors, friends and family, if possible. Don't let anybody you know go hungry. Almost all of us have enough put back that we can share with those who do not have the foresight to stock up or the money to do so. No need to let them or their children go hungry. While we can't adopt everyone or even become the grocery store for a family, we can help. There are food banks and such for the majority of people's needs, so we can fill in the gaps if needed. And maybe, we can show people how to take better care of themselves and be better prepared for crap just like this.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Amen, sistah!

My DH is the same....why you buying that? Ran out of mayonnaise in the fridge the other day. I put it on the list. DH says - you have another one in the pantry. My answer - yes I do. The reason I have another in the pantry is that I always keep a spare. When I run out of one I buy another spare, lol.

I've been making sure we have things like Band-Aids, gauze, peroxide, Neosporin...basic wound care. My last Jeffers order included several rolls of vet wrap. DH is on ANOTHER additional blood thinner and even a tiny scrape will bleed for hours. Band-Aids don't control it - so for now it's gauze pads and vet wrap. I think I may switch him to Kotex pads! LOL - he would be mortified!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Amen, sistah!

My DH is the same....why you buying that? Ran out of mayonnaise in the fridge the other day. I put it on the list. DH says - you have another one in the pantry. My answer - yes I do. The reason I have another in the pantry is that I always keep a spare. When I run out of one I buy another spare, lol.

I've been making sure we have things like Band-Aids, gauze, peroxide, Neosporin...basic wound care. My last Jeffers order included several rolls of vet wrap. DH is on ANOTHER additional blood thinner and even a tiny scrape will bleed for hours. Band-Aids don't control it - so for now it's gauze pads and vet wrap. I think I may switch him to Kotex pads! LOL - he would be mortified!

there are several friends/relatives who have that blood thinner stuff going on and i keep wondering why they're not adjusting the dose down a bit so they can at least not have to bleed all over the place or look like a refugee from some kind of strange factory or something. their arms and hands are always bruised and looking like they're going to get gangrene. a few of them have open sores almost all the time and i don't think that's wise as it invites infections.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thankfully, he's not quite that bad, but it is definitely a consideration. He's on a heavier than normal dose right now because of the procedure he had a couple weeks ago. He had several arteries in his right leg "roto-rootered" to clean out blockages. Over the upcoming weeks he'll have 3 more procedures on the veins in his other leg. The blood thinners are indicated to prevent problems after those procedures. Hopefully, they will reduce the dosage after all healing is done and they don't have to worry about him throwing clots as a result of the interventions. Always something...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That poor man, if it's not one thing, it's another. I hope after he heals up that the blood thinners can be reduced. After his heart surgery, BJ was on Lipitor (evil) blood pressure medicine and a blood thinner. The side effects were awful. His memory was shot, he couldn't remember what happened the day before. His blood pressure was so low that he felt bad and couldn't function. His arms were solid bruises. One by one, we got him off those. Now he is taking a baby aspirin twice a day since his surgery, but won't stay on them. He takes fish oil for a blood thinner and that's enough.