Rammy's Rabbit Thread

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just came in from weighing the kits. The smallest one is only 1.87 ounces.:( The largest is 3.13 ounces. When weighing one of Bettys kits, one jumped out of my hands and fell onto the tote next to where I was weighing them.:ep There was a little hay ontop of the lids but I hope its not hurt. :bow
they are tougher than you think. I am sure it will be ok.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope so. 🐇:fl

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good news....the Great Jumping Bean baby bunny is still doing fine this morning. I about had a heart attack when it just "binged" out of my hand and took a nose dive off the side of the crate and hit the lid of the tote. Its got some spring in those little legs!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Super nice day out today. Upper 70's and no humidity, slight wind. :weee Power washed all the rabbit cages except the ones hanging the does with kits are in and the one the white NZ buck is in. Just cleaned those before the kits arrived.😊
Sprayed down the outside hutches, too. Didnt take the rabbits out of those because they can run and hide in thier hidy hole or in the main part away from where Im spraying. Works good.
Eve's hidy hole was nasty. :sickShe likes to poop in there apparently. Sprayed it down with bleachwater then some disinfectant I use for the coop. Nasty girl. 🤢
Cleaned thier resting pads and am cleaning some of the water bottles that are getting algae in them. Will let those set over night, rinse out good, and be ready for clean bottles when necessary.
Checked the jumping beans after got all the cleaning done. Even the runts look like they are gaining some weight. I was concerned about some of the smaller ones but they look like they are doing great.
Im kinda really hoping the one with alot of white on its face is a girl. 😁🐇

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No. Can take care of that tomorrow. Little beanie babies are growing fast. One of the kits already has one of its eyes opening. All of them are gaining weight and no losses. Hopefully not.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I was wondering if they have DNA kits for rabbits.
You can usually figure out rabbit color genes pretty easily. It gets a little messy with C genes which have incomplete dominance, like the chinchillas, or vienna gene which can be really weird and produce purple eyes.

Color genes, A B C D E and En

White markings are Enen or ENEN
Black is BB or Bb with DD or Dd.
Red is from agouti gene A. Castor is agouti + black, Amber is agouti + chocolate.

So without seeing a pick of the red buck, I'm guessing he is

AA or Aa, BB, CC or Cc, DD or Dd, ?, Enen

E gene is a bit tricky for me because my rabbits didnt have variation on E. Ej can cause agouti to appear black. So I think thats what your red buck is passing on to give you black kits?

I need to go back and look for pics of your buns now.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I found their pics. Leo is Amber - agouti + chocolate. And the dutch marking is from Belle. So forget what I said above. 😅

AA or Aa (probably AA because every non REW kit was amber), bb, CC or Cc, DD or Dd and who knows what the heck with E 😂 and enen (because the white marking aint coming from him)

Belle carries vienna gene, probably is Vv. Thats where youre getting the dutch marking and blue in her eyes.

Betty White is your wild card. REW covers up everything else so you'll only know by what she produces.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20191226_143115.jpg

20191226_143108.jpg

This is the buck. I bred him to my white purebred NZ and she had all white kits. The black kits with the white markings came from Belle whom I bred to my white purebred NZ buck, so for 2 white rabbits having black kits, I was blown away. Maybe they are like negatives in a photo? :lol:

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found their pics. Leo is Amber - agouti + chocolate. And the dutch marking is from Belle. So forget what I said above. 😅

AA or Aa (probably AA because every non REW kit was amber), bb, CC or Cc, DD or Dd and who knows what the heck with E 😂 and enen (because the white marking aint coming from him)

Belle carries vienna gene, probably is Vv. Thats where youre getting the dutch marking and blue in her eyes.

Betty White is your wild card. REW covers up everything else so you'll only know by what she produces.
I replied before I read your second post. 🤣