Rammy's Rabbit Thread

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a friend once told me that rats go for the heads as they love to eat brains. so maybe the attacks are from rats but the bigger chickens are chasing them off before they kill.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a friend once told me that rats go for the heads as they love to eat brains. so maybe the attacks are from rats but the bigger chickens are chasing them off before they kill.
If thats the case, why are the other three chicks ok? This last chick had no marks on it. The one hen I took out of there that I thought had killed the one before this one clearly had attacked two chicks I had put under the broody hens. One nearly drowned and the other she scalped and it unfortunately died.
I do have rats here which really upsets me and have been trying to eradicate them but not much is helping that.
Maybe its time for new barn cats because the ones I have now arent doing thier job.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Shore up your feeding to get rid of rats. Remove any old hay or bedding accumulation. I had rats in my barn and they were eating my baby bunnies. 😭 and a lot of chicken feed - DH was free feeding chickens.

Which reminds me I have chicks in there that are old enough to switch to rationed feeding. Need to do that before the rats come back.

I hate rats too.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Shore up your feeding to get rid of rats. Remove any old hay or bedding accumulation. I had rats in my barn and they were eating my baby bunnies. 😭 and a lot of chicken feed - DH was free feeding chickens.

Which reminds me I have chicks in there that are old enough to switch to rationed feeding. Need to do that before the rats come back.

I hate rats too.
I plan on cleaning the been good. I did it once before when I saw I had them, but spilled some pellets a while back. I put out poison too.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I went to feed the chickens this morning, found a big ol' rat dead outside the coop in the run area. Looks like my tasty treats I got for them is working.
Poor bunnies are loving thier frozen 2 litre bottles with the heat the way it is. Heat index was 107 today. I hope this doesnt last for too long.

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Me too. Still find tunnels in the barn and cover them up just to find another. :somad Im hoping the poison knocks them down or at least hopefully eradicates them. 🤞
I'll have 5 does bred this fall and do not want these things around to kill the kits. Nasty things.🐀

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Havent found any more nasty critters around but something is definetly eating the bait. Good riddance.
Was cleaning the bunny cages when I noticed my NZW buck had a matt on his leg. Got to feeling him over and found more. I didnt realize his coat was so bad. I was able to pull the matts off and plan on bringing home a soft bristle brush I have at work and giving him a good brushing. I feel like a bad bunny momma. :hide

Latest posts