Real Men Eat Veggies - and other healthy recipes!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will be trying this one soon:

Low Carb Avocado Crisps

You will need:

1 1/2 ripe Hass avocados
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup finely grated hard cheese, like Grana Pedana or Parmesan
zest of 1 lemon
black pepper

Mix everything together well.

Place teaspoon-sized dollops onto a parchment-lined baking tray, flatten into thin disks and bake for 15-17 minutes at 180C. (350F)

The crisps should turn a golden color but not too brown, else they are burnt.

Remove from the oven and allow them to cool and crisp up.

For a Mexican twist, add a dash of cumin and some chili powder.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I found mashed cauliflower at the grocery store marked down to $0.59 per 5 serving tray. I added cream, butter, salt, and..... I LIKE IT! :eek: I'm shocked! and delighted! I'm going to go back tomorrow and buy the rest!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cauliflower is an awesome substitution for mashed potatoes - especially when you can "fix" it up some!

I made the avocado crisps the other day....pretty tasty! But, I didn't cook 'em long enough so they were kinda chewy in the middle which I didn't really mind, but I was going for that "crisp" texture. Also I think they cry out for more seasoning. I put a little cumin and the requested salt - but ended up tossing a little garlic salt on 'em too for a bit more flavor. I'll make 'em again!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Turnips are not potatoes. :( I cannot believe people claiming they switched out turnips for potatoes and their family didn't notice. My house smells like feet. Yuck!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do like turnips and will substitute them for potatoes in a stew or something - but they definitely are NOT potatoes! Especially if you get a bitter one! I haven't figured out how to tell a good one from a bad one, but I keep trying. I did plant some in my fall garden. I got some big ol greens, but the roots aren't very big yet. Didn't stop me from pulling a couple, chopping 'em up and cooking the turnips and the greens in some nice pig fat! Wasn't bad at all - but I think it's more of an acquired taste maybe...

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, @tortoise I soooooo agree!

The first time we moved down south, someone from church brought us a HUGE black trash bag filled with turnips. I had absolutely no idea what to do with them. But we were determined that since we lived in Georgia, we were going to try all the different foods. So I asked around. Called both my parents and DH's parents and no one had a clue. So I asked the neighbor lady, and I was told that "anything you can do with a potato, you can do with a turnip." So we cut off all the tops and took several nice BIG turnips (I can almost here people laughing at me already.... But wait, the story's not done yet!) and we made mashed turnips into kind of a casserole with loads of cheese. Of course, all the tops were thrown out (now, hush, you Southerners! Just how many potato greens do YOU eat?? We ASKED!) So tops were thrown away, and no one told us that you don't eat the BIG turnips because a) they're FULL of grit and sand, and b) they're BITTER! We tried. We really did. But there just was no way to even begin to pretend that they were edible. And for the rest of the years we lived in GA, we were reminded again and again that we threw away the best part of the turnip.
Nope, I'm NOT a turnip fan...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about rutabaga's ya'll? I used to think they were milder than turnips - but then I got a bitter 'baga....

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FEM, as far as I can tell, with turnips, the only time you want to eat the root is when they are still small and tender. The bitterness come when they get bigger. Maybe it's the same for rutabagas? I've had them in root soup, and possibly in some Southern casseroles over the years made by better cooks than I am, but if I ate them and liked them, I wouldn't know for sure...:idunno