Real Men Eat Veggies - and other healthy recipes!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Turnips are disgusting. Someone gave me a bunch of produce for my pigs once and I cooked the turnips (I'm so nice lol) and the smell... Oh man... So gross.

They are nothing like potatoes, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The neighbor behind çalled me last winter, about this time of year, and said he had planted some turnips, used the tops and wanted to plow them. He said maybe I would want them for the animals, gave me 2 weeks to get any or all before he was gonna plow up. Not wanting to miss out on free animal feed, I go back with some 5 gal buckets. Took a look at these huge roots & number there & drove back for the tractor! Filled 4 front end loaders...still more!

What I found was the pigs & goats were thrilled as expected but, the chickens were all over them like candy! These were big enough that I used a machete to slice them up to toss for feed. So if u want an easy to grow, high yield, can stay in ground most of winter, animal feed - turnips can work. The animals like the tops too.:clap

I ended up with another FEL full & left more. This was about 5 rows, maybe 75' long, but close together. He had put them under some young peach & apple trees as ground cover & so he had the turnip greens. They have uses. I didn't try any. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My father once told me that God made rutabagas to give turnips something to feel superior about ;) Actually, I've heard that Swedes taste better than turnips.

There is a german dish called Himmel und erde, meaning heaven and earth that is a mixture of mashed potato and apple, but I've read where people will add some turnips to the mix as well.

If you want to grow some root crops as animal feed, try Mangel-Wurzels... a type of beet that can grow to 20 pounds or more, and the animals adore them. Of course, you can eat them too- just pick them a bit smaller and tenderer

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, Mangels have been used for many, many years in Europe & brought here with immigrants to use. I do have seeds for them and plan to use some this year -- part of my "grow more" for animal venture. :\ BUT I can sure say that those turnips were wonderful as they were not only free & abundant but, the work & space to grow was provided by another. :lol:

I had a big pile for about a month as I got part, used down and got more just before the deadline, those lasted a couple more weeks. Nice.

The thing about the Mangels -- SO large that you have a job getting them out of the ground, I would think. Will let everyone know because I do plan to plant them this year. Since the turnips were so popular, I'm throwing some of that seed out in places to use. In my area we rarely get temps so low that the ground gets frozen several inches down, means many root crops can stay & be used from plant site -- most years.

Pumpkins are another thing I will grow...primarily for feed but I'm sure some will be Halloween sales. :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted some Mangels a few months ago...didn't get to see how they would turn out because with all our rain they died out. If I can find a spot - I'll plant them again.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Never heard of mangels, but will definitely try them. Our back yard is terraced, with the garden one level up from the yard, and the orchard one level up from the garden. I do want to plant a lot more food for the animals this year.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been outside all morning. Spent some time in the garden. About to take out the mostly spent broccoli plants and put tomatoes in their place. I picked all the remaining side shoots and a handful of cilantro that's bolting, threw them in a frying pan with lots of fresh garlic, stirred em around for a bit and called it lunch!

image.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There truly is nothing better than fresh! Broccoli that was rooted in the dirt 30 minutes before it makes it to your mouth - it's something no store bought broccoli could ever compete with!