Real Men Eat Veggies - and other healthy recipes!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite quiches. I got it from a friend that I worked with several years ago. Let me know if you can't read it...
IMG_20180303_064642.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interestingly -- no milk. Yes, lots of moisture from zucchini & mushrooms. Sounds tasty.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use regular pie crust. My penciled in note says to spread the mustard on the crust before you add the filling.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have to share much with neighbors as my goats will eat them! The pigs did too, when I had them. Chickens will eat, if I chop them some.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is something I picked out of a Mother Earth News email, simply because -- chips are ALWAYS a temptation and we can make them at home from many of our own stock. Personally I love the chips from beets, sweet potatoes, etc., that I find in the stores but not the price. So, while this can be easily tweaked to our own tastes and available crops, it is a help for those of us doing for first time. We will all have some failures but, a good place to start. I have an air fryer that suggests doing this with sweet potatoes....of course, size limits quantity at one go but my oven & dehydrator will sure get some go at chips.

Ingredients:
• 1 sweet potato, peeled
• 1 blue potato, peeled
• 1 parsnip, peeled
• 1 jicama, peeled
• 1 red beet, peeled
• 1 golden beet, peeled
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Slice the vegetables into thin disks, using a mandoline, or finely slice by hand.

3. Pat the vegetables dry and place them in a bowl along with the olive oil, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and salt and black pepper to taste. Turn to coat evenly and transfer to a baking sheet in a single layer.

4. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy, keeping a close eye on your chips after the 15-minute point as some may cook faster than others. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Kitchen Note
If you prefer to make the vegetable chips in a dehydrator, spread the raw, uncoated vegetables in a single layer on the trays of the device and dehydrate for 10 hours at the 125 level setting or until crispy. Just before serving, toss the chips in the seasoned oil.