Real Men Eat Veggies - and other healthy recipes!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I LOVE turnip greens!!! I like the young turnips raw, they are sweet. I mainly grow them for the greens, feed the turnips to the animals. Very high in protein, easy and cheap to grow. What's not to like about turnips?

I also like rutabagas. I cut them up in fries, dredge in seasoned olive oil, spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes. Yum! I planted a huge row of them! They are good raw, grated on salad.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YaY! I actually like them both...but ya gotta get 'good' ones. There's nothing that will ruin a good stew more than a bitter turnip or rutabaga. I grew turnips this fall...pulled some and sautéed 'em in bacon grease with some garlic. They were certainly tangy - but tasty! I have tossed some to the critters and they love them too! Maybe I'll set aside an area and grow some just for the pigs, goats and chickens. IF I can find a location for 'em.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't grown rutabagas before. What I read was that they take longer to grow than turnips and they will store in the ground in winter where the ground doesn't freeze. So, I dunno..... we'll see.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
image.jpg
Tonight I tried something I've been intending to do for awhile. Tacos- kinda. Instead of taco shells you put the meat and stuff into/in a mini pepper. You get that taco taste and that crunch. Pretty darn tasty.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Melted cheese -- decadent! Maybe just downright awesome.

I love a fresh, crunchy pepper. In fact, those little ones would be good at breakfast with scrambled egg & sausage, with cheese. I enjoy a wrap with eggs/cheese/sausage & taco sauce.

OK - now I'm hungry!