Recession is over!! New Title: Smokers!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, here is my smoker thingy. LOL I know...its dusty. :/ I just knew I wanted one...now I have to learn to use the darned thing! LOL
99_smoker1.jpg

When I opened it, there are these 2 "bowls" One has holes...one doesnt, and there are 2 racks.
99_smoker2.jpg

help!??? :D

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
:D :D

What you have there is Brinkman smoker. That was the very first one I had!! Temp control is very difficult with those because of the thin metal and the fact the entire bottom is open. When you cook in it, make sure you set it so it is out of any direct wind, like behind your house or garage. For mine, I also had a piece of steel curved about the same radius as the smoker and about a foot tall, that fit about 3/4 the way around. I would set that right up against the bottom legs to help stop drafts even more. The bowl with the holes is the ash pan where you put your charcoal and wood, and you will want to line that with tin foil to slow the burn down a bit. The other bowl sets just about that one, and you can fill it full of water(or beer) to help keep the meat moist. You should also have two cooking grids/grills for it as well. The thermometer is not very accurate on those models so you might want to get a digital thermometer to check the internal meat temp. That way you will KNOW when it is done. I try to maintain the cooking temp around 225 -250 degrees for best results. When your smoking, you have to cook by TIME, not high temperature. Another tip....if your lookin', your not cookin'. Remember that every time you open that smoker up,your loosing heat and it takes time to get it back,especially a small unit like that.

I cooked some delicious meals on my old Brinkman, ya just got to cook on it a couple of times to get a feel for it.

Any questions? :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, so...if I got this right...the grate on the bottom, holds the pan with the holes/woodchips...then another grate, holds the meat...above the woodchips???Where does the one with the water/beer go?? I know, I am a pain..im so sorry, but I want to smoke a chicken first, since we have SO MANY in the freezer! Oh, and what "flavor" is best for the chips? There seems to be a wide variety! :/

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SO there! :plbb

Hijacking my sarcasm with something useful! :bun

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
justusnak said:
OK, so...if I got this right...the grate on the bottom, holds the pan with the holes/woodchips...then another grate, holds the meat...above the woodchips???Where does the one with the water/beer go?? I know, I am a pain..im so sorry, but I want to smoke a chicken first, since we have SO MANY in the freezer! Oh, and what "flavor" is best for the chips? There seems to be a wide variety! :/
It goes together like this: Bottom bowl(the one with the holes in it) then on the next set of notches (about6 inches up from the ash pan) you set the second bowl full of water/beer. On top of that bowl you can set your first grate,then there should be another set of "notches" further up to set the second or top grate on. Got it? :lol: :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Recession is over. Darn I missed that on the news. I guess if "they" say so then it is true.

Hmm...time to get about 15 credit cards opened and start buying all those great things people listed. I have jacuzzi envy and more!!!

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had one of those Brinkman smokers too...it works, just don't try to smoke anything that needs to be done by a certain time...

In my case, it was the Thanksgiving turkey one year...it was so darn windy that it took several HOURS past my estimated mealtime before the bird was finished. It was moist and tender, but we were already full from eating everything else.:rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Wifzilla will you make me a hat?
Do you need a cunning Firefly Jayne Cobb hat?
jaynehat6jj1sp.jpg

Jayne: "How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don'tchya think?"

Kaylee: "I think it's the sweetest hat ever."

Book: "Makes a statement."

Jayne: "Yeah, yeah!"

Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

Jayne: "Damn straight."

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yup...the yellow one...which is why it is so freaking huge. I stuffed the entire Firefly DVD set along with a copy of Serenity inside it and gave it to my sister as a christmas present :D