Saving money has made me bored out of my mind!!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol: The exercise probably gets her "moving," so to speak. Do you bring bags to clean up after her? Is it just that picking it up is unpleasant or not practical?

I would love to have a dog to walk with . . . but if it is a pain, I would walk anyway (or ride my bike somewhere). Exercise gives me perspective and makes me feel more settled.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
:lol: The exercise probably gets her "moving," so to speak. Do you bring bags to clean up after her? Is it just that picking it up is unpleasant or not practical?

I would love to have a dog to walk with . . . but if it is a pain, I would walk anyway (or ride my bike somewhere). Exercise gives me perspective and makes me feel more settled.
Oh, always clean up after her. It is just unpleasant to clean up after her. She always has to chose the most public places to do it. At busy intersections or in front of a crowd of people. Sigh!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well . . . when I see people picking up after their dogs, I am just glad there are people who do! It doesn't bother me that the dog had to go, ya know. But, I guess some people might be more offended. :rolleyes:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Diane, it is just a change in mindset. You will soon settle in to a less 'on the go' lifestyle. Some of us are conditioned to always be on the go. I have a friend who daughters are in an activity EVERY SINGLE DAY after school! Yikes! That just does not appeal to me. I am a homebody and my favorite days are days when I am housebound!

Start a craft project, start a container herb garden, learn how to make candles or soap, cook more, bake more, work on some homemade holiday gifts.

Leave the tv off and find something to do, pretty soon you will be accustomed to it!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Could you give classes at home for something? For money or for charity? Literacy group?
Or start a group of like minded individuals - maybe a once a week cooking meet at a member's house?
Or a reading group? I've never done that but it might be fun.
Or simply volunteer at a school where you want to work fulltime? That should give you a foot in the door. As an employer, it is so much better to hire what you know than someone you don't.
When I first retired, it was harder than I thought. But I have so adjusted to being on my own, that it usually causes a momentary blip of irritation if someone calls to go out.
Find a neighbor who wants a walking companion?

maf8009

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Get a few chickens... it will lead to more stuff to do.. like building one coop, then a run, then a..... oh well, you will figure it out! ... that will keep you busy!!! any one out there second that? :lol:

DianeB said:
Since I have been very tight with the purse strings, I have found myself home quite a bit. The only reason I left the house before was to go to work, church or shopping. Stopped shopping unless it is absolutely nessecary. Go to work a few times a week. Church only once a week. This leaves my evenings and weekends filled to do nothing but home stuff. Research for school, yard work and housework only occupies so much time. This is very, very boring!!!

Do consider myself somewaht of a homebody. But, this is ridiculous. Can only watch so many movies and TV. What to do?

How does everyone else deal with this?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
maf8009 said:
Get a few chickens... it will lead to more stuff to do.. like building one coop, then a run, then a..... oh well, you will figure it out! ... that will keep you busy!!! any one out there second that? :lol:

DianeB said:
Since I have been very tight with the purse strings, I have found myself home quite a bit. The only reason I left the house before was to go to work, church or shopping. Stopped shopping unless it is absolutely nessecary. Go to work a few times a week. Church only once a week. This leaves my evenings and weekends filled to do nothing but home stuff. Research for school, yard work and housework only occupies so much time. This is very, very boring!!!

Do consider myself somewaht of a homebody. But, this is ridiculous. Can only watch so many movies and TV. What to do?

How does everyone else deal with this?
That's how it started for me! , but just to make sure you have lots to do, so that you can't procrastinate, get the chickens before the coop.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Volunteering outside the home is a great way to get out and meet people and pass free time without spending money.

I walk dogs for the SPCA, I foster animals in need and provide free dog training classes to people who adopt 'dangerous' breeds (my favorite dogs are pit bulls, so I teach people how to be responsible with their dogs and help with a more positive image for the breed instead of how the media portrays them), my own pit bulls are therapy dogs and we visit retirement homes, I teach therapeutic riding lessons to kids on my horse, I tutor kids who are having trouble reading, I do crafts, sew my own clothes and I draw portraits in my free time.

We also bought a fixer-upper house, so I'm restoring an old boarding house from 1883... right now we're working on boring things like insulation, I can't wait to get to the point where I get to make it look pretty :)

I used to shop a lot, now I find I rarely feel like shopping and I honestly can't bring myself to buy anything that isn't drastically on sale. I've gotten used to not spending money, and I find it hard to get everything done that I want to get done in a day :)

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
1977 you are one busy chick. I don't see how you have time to breath, the volunteering you are doing must be such a blessing to others,keep it up,just don't burn yourself out.Be sure to take time for yourself and to chill.One of the things I do to keep busy, is to go here, I could spend all my free time here learning new and neat stuff from all of you.
Investing in a few chickens is a really good idea, not only can they be fun, but you ge to reap the rewards EGGS.Oh and theres the chicken poo for the garden, I think chickens are the best!! :ya

Latest posts