Scrounge any good things lately? I did!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey FC I'll take that rotary line!!! I wish I lived closer to pick it up. Last week I posted an add for canning jars. I got one responce. A man giving me two cases of 1 quart in trade for a couple jars of jam and some fresh eggs. Then he emailed me back and said he found the water bath and I could have that as well. I am going to pick up tomorrow. Yeahhhh!!!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Dixiedoodle said:
A few weeks ago, a friend who is redoing a cottage style house, asked me to go with her to see what I thought of it.. While there I commented on a beautiful pair of French doors and windows that matched. She said she was going to throw them in the dump....I grabbed them up. They are in perfect condition--even the putty/glazing is not damaged.. They have brass hinges and knobs and are beautiful.

Then last week my son in law, calls and asks if I need some chain link fencing..Oh course I said yes, He brings me about 1000ft of chain link fencing, some posts, several gates, and hardware cloth.. There is a house that has been vacant for a long while and it was going to be torn down--and he was told he could have anything that was left in the house or on the property... So today he brings 6 shelving units 8' long 2'wide and 6' tall. solid wood, bolted together.. Where I will put them I have no idea but even dh was a happy camper..

Dixiedoodle
We got our sliding glass door from friends who were going to throw it away after having an addition put on their house. We got the door for free and my husband installed it himself. When the original owners came to visit once they noted that it opened much more smoothly at our house. :lol:

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Great score Tanks! I found some jelly jars on a clearance shelf at Safeway the other day & then after I got home I remembered I hada coupon I could have used to get them even less! Oh well. I plan to up my search for jars again @ sales & thrift stores. Would post them on freecycle, but I kept seeing posts for them all the time on there.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went and finally picked up the quart jars today. Such an interesting old fella. Lives in the house he was born in. He had told me he was going to look around and gather some more jars for me. And sure enough he did. I think there must have been about two dozen he pulled out from under a tree. Literally! They were covered in mud and the rings were all rusty. I am sure once I get them cleaned up and sterilized they will be good to go. He also gave me two water bath pots and I think a jar tong. Not to sure, I have not done the tally yet. I brought him three 8oz jars of jam and a pint of pickles. Oh and 3 dozen eggs as a thank you. Looks like I made a good move. He is going to be a future egg customer. He even said he will come pick them up.. Whoo hoo I love meeting new people.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wow Tanks what a great find for you, not just the jars & canners but the knowledge this man might be able to share with you. And then on top of it all an egg customer too!!! You hit the motherlode on this one! :celebrate

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My friends parents are visiting her and while having dinner at her house I mentioned that I was going to look into buying a non electric sewing machine. Her mother mentioned that she has one in excellent condition that she will give me! She has kept it up and says that it works perfectly she just wanted it to go to a good home since she is getting older and barely sews anymore. Either way it is a free machine I can't wait to get it and try it out!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats on the treadle machine. I have been keeping my eyes open for one. Free is the only way to go. I would only use it if absolutely necessary. I sew way too much for no elec all the time. g:)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dixiedoodle is cleaning UP now!!!! :thumbsup That was definitely a good save on the french doors and fencing.

It always amazes me what folks throw away! :hu

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Picked up four fairly good wood pallets today out of the trash. One looks like the perfect size to strip down one side and make into a wooden gate for the sheep pen. If not, it will make a good garden gate.

Pallets are great....so many uses! And they are pretty scarce around here.

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi gang I just read through some of this thread and came to this last post of Beekissed on the use of pallets. We had scored some great newly made 10' long x 4' wide pallets. They were at the school where the roof was getting some repairs and the materials came on them.
So we have used some for display for our Greenhouse plant sales area.
171_p1040262.jpg

And also instant fence. T post and there ya have it.
171_p1040258.jpg

I was a great find and we plant to seal them with Thompsons water seal so they will last longer. We have the fence even now.
And we do plan to build an arbor for our grape the support I gave it 12 years ago has seen better days.

:frow Karan :D