shortages

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most people who are needy for even the most basics of food will not lift their hand to plant a garden, it's too much work. Able bodied, nothing wrong with them, no debilitating health issues and they will not lift a hand to feed themselves or their family. That is just incomprehensible to me. I don't mind telling them to get off their lazy backside and take responsibility for themselves.

That said, I have neighbors that I have always shared the wealth with. One couple has 4 boys, they work long hours and have money, but deeply appreciate fresh vegetables. Another couple is disabled and they need the food. Various neighbors have various issues, I always tried to share what I had. I will miss not having a garden next year.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
From wikipedia

Tang was used by early NASA crewed space flights.[9] In 1962, when Mercury astronaut John Glenn conducted eating experiments in orbit, Tang was selected for the menu;[2] it was also used during some Gemini flights, and has also been carried aboard numerous space shuttle missions. Although many soda companies sent specially-designed canned drinks into space with the crew of STS-51-F, the crew preferred to use Tang, as it could be mixed into existing water containers easily. In 2013, former NASA astronaut Buzz Aldrin said, "Tang sucks".[10]

:gig

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lots of Golden Harvest and Kerr lids and jars, but you can tell they are going quick. I am not worried about fruit and veggies for the rest of the year, it will be milk and meat for us. I have a couple locals to get pork and chicken from and when the school farm has their sale this spring I will have to break the bank and buy some beef.

Toiletries are good, except for the occasional request from the teenage daughter :gig I think if there was anything I am lacking in it is chicken feed and bedding, will stock up once I determine how many more I am adding.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we can't keep all the containers but i've been rotating my older containers into the recycle bin for the past year since i had way too many stacked up on the shelf in my closet and as they get older they start to crack. if i'd kept them all i'd have several hundred more than i have now.

at one time i thought of putting small cedar trees in each one and setting them out by the road for sale for $1 to get back some of the $ spent on the yogurt. we could easily start a few dozen cedar trees a year just going around and finding them in the gravel around the different areas we have.

this whole line of cedar trees was from seedlings over the years, we'd also sold about 50 similar sized cedars to some friends who wanted them for their property. not counting many others we've given away.

featured_hu24910660336c85bfeac27db1ce0a2c23_877127_720x0_resize_q100_lanczos.jpg

we have to fence them because the deer really enjoy munching on them in the middle of winter when there's nothing else to eat.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is an old WW2 ammo dump under the Beltway 8 bridge over the ship channel in Houston. The buildings are quonset type, metal framing with a thick layer of concrete and a couple feet of earth over that. Long abandoned, the land was sold off and there is now an industrial park there. Many of the businesses use the structures as storage. I've been inside some of those and in the heat of Houston summer, they were cool inside.

Just did a google earth look-see on Appelt Drive and There is a lot more industry there now than when I was down that road many years ago. I couldn't tell if any of those old structures were still there.

Point being, something built above ground, strong and insulated with earth, will last a long time and be cool inside.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My barn has cement block foundation and had a room to one side with a separate entrance. DH built a wall to separate it from the barn, put in 12" or so of insulation - some sprayed in, some foam sheeting - and installed a mini split with a coolbot that allows the minisplit to bring the temperature lower. It's amazing how well it holds the temperature even without using the minisplit. We use the room for butchering, but could use it for cold storage if we have more produce than we can process at a time.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How can they properly euthanize then? It doesn't make sense.
Tortoise is exactly right.
There are also non medication ways to euthanize. I can’t remember who it’s from now, but somebody put out a list of acceptable/humane methods of death that anyone in the veterinary industry (and I believe meat, but don’t quote me on that one) have to follow. For instance, last time I checked, it is considered inhumane to suffocate an animal or inject an air bubble into the veins. But, decapatation, bolt gun, and certain drugs are considered humane. If owners aren’t present there are other methods vets can use. I hate to say it, but pet owners are going to have to toughen up. Death is always unpleasant, I’m afraid we’re going to see it start to come back into our culture more and more again. Our civilization has become so accustomed to removing itself from pain and death to a large degree. I’m not sure people will be ready.