shortages

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It looks like vomit on a plate and it IS soggy! YUCK!

My Mom made dried beef in gravy to pour over toast. I was grown up before I heard my Daddy call it sh!t on a shingle. That's what they called it in the Navy. He loved it, I utterly despised it and refused to eat it. Gross.
**** on a shingle is sooooo good. It’s salty and delicious.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a life without stuffing, rice puddings, custards, bread puddings, runny eggs on toast, french toast, turkey/beef/chicken mashed potatoes and bread all smothered in gravy, etc. would be a sad life indeed and then my favorite which is cookie dough. you can't have cookies without making cookie dough. soggy carbohydrates. yum! so, well, obviously we don't agree.

SOS, Chicken a-la-King, pot pies, shepards pies, sloppy joes, ... nah, those are staples we eat often enough, all good.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
**** on a shingle is sooooo good. It’s salty and delicious.
Maybe if you grew up eating my Mom's cooking, you'd have a different outlook on that........ I left home at 17, didn't know much about cooking beyond eggs, bacon, sausage and hamburgers, because I didn't want her to teach me! :gig

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
a life without stuffing, rice puddings, custards, bread puddings, runny eggs on toast, french toast, turkey/beef/chicken mashed potatoes and bread all smothered in gravy, etc. would be a sad life indeed and then my favorite which is cookie dough. you can't have cookies without making cookie dough. soggy carbohydrates. yum! so, well, obviously we don't agree.

SOS, Chicken a-la-King, pot pies, shepards pies, sloppy joes, ... nah, those are staples we eat often enough, all good.
Many of those are good, just not soggy bread with gravy on it. Include runny eggs on toast and sloppy joes. LOL

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we went down south a couple years ago and they had biscuits and gravy at McDonalds in GA (we had stopped for coffee only, lol) my DH was SOOO happy.

Hardees has better biscuits and gravy. Kind of miss it after moving back out here. Chick-fil-A followed us though.

We were poor enough that bread and leftover gravy was lunch sometimes when I was a kid.

We ate a lot of gravy because we ate lots of potatoes at most lunch and all dinners because potatoes were free.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So here is one that I wouldn't have thought of but navy blue uniform jumpers. I can find a tan one in DD7s size but no navy :( They have to be twill and no frills. Have been looking since before Christmas. Just was able to order her a tan one, but they get so dirty and stained faster than the navy ones