smoking or Not.......

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Morelcabin, I am glad to hear that you are going to try. I have been trying for so long.......I dont want to jinx myself. I havent had one since I started this time. Not thinking about it and not dwelling on it is what helps me.
So MC, you should figure out when you are going to get the cd. Figure out how long it is going to take to listen to it for a few weeks and then, this is the important step......set a date and stick to it. Dont let it go by and then set another one, stick to the first one.
Keep telling yourself you are quitting by this date. Tell yourself that all the time. THen start cutting back. Even if its just by one cig an hour, cut back.
You can do it. If getting on here and telling us about it makes you think about it when you dont want to, then dont tell us about it. Do what you need to, to make it work for you. :D

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I dont really have a reward. The first two times I quit I just transferred my ORAL FIXATION to something else ;).
Since I have made it a point to stay away from the food I have a tendancy to inhale while I am quitting, I allow myself one day (usually fridays) to pig out.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
There are some great non-food rewards- a loooooong soak in a hot tub being one of my favorites or a stop at a shop that is frivolous but I always really wanted to do it or a walk in the woods with nothing in mind but looking at the small insects or bugs. A pair of socks that are not NOT for barn work. Or a thrift store ramble taking my time. Or a rented movie or a library mystery paperback..........

I love the times I can give myself permission to take time for something wasteful and only productive to my happiness.........

You've been good- you deserve it.............

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been checking on you periodically to see if you are still on the wagon. LOL Way to go!

I quit smoking in... February 2003. I was pregnant and it was pretty easy, seeing how cigarettes made me gag. But I remember the last pack I bought because I mostly just lit the cigarettes (without putting them in my mouth) and held them in my hand, flicking the ashes into an ashtray, until it was gone.

My husband quit last February (2007) cold turkey. He STILL to this DAY drives me crazy about wanting a cigarette! I finally told him to shut up about it. I told he's not addicted anymore, he just wants to obsess over something, and he should keep it to himself. LOL

The thing is, I remember for the first few years after I quit, I always told myself, "man, when I get too old for it to kill me, I'm going to start smoking again, because I LOVE smoking." I was a two packs a day smoker and I really did love it. (The difference is, I didn't feel the need to verbalize this complaint constantly for two years!) But now... hmm.. somewhere after the third year, I think... I stopped feeling that way. Finally! I finally got to where I was no longer having wistful memories of my beloved smoking days.

So, you hang in there. :)

Cassandra

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you all for the good vibes sent my way concerning this. BUT, I want to know about RTR and MorelCabin. How's it goin you Addicts? :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
roosmom, how long's it been now?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SINCE YOU BROUGHT IT TO MY ATTENTION lol. I looked back and I quit on 9-19-08. So that makes it 1month and 16 days.
:weee

what about the rest of the clan who were quitting with me? :idunno