so, i met a guy...... <3

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Re: age difference

There is almost a 10 year age difference between hubby and I,and I was freshly 18 when I met him. He has openly admitted he liked "younger" (18-21, NOT younger) girls and "just wanted a piece" (which I never did) but ended up falling in love with me. I found this out afterwards.

So age diff not so bad, but yes huge flag lol.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Re: age difference

There is almost a 10 year age difference between hubby and I,and I was freshly 18 when I met him. He has openly admitted he liked "younger" (18-21, NOT younger) girls and "just wanted a piece" (which I never did) but ended up falling in love with me. I found this out afterwards.

So age diff not so bad, but yes huge flag lol.
well, that is the scary part. You lucked out but not every girl is so lucky.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes! I am so thankful I lucked out. But age differences *can* work, it depends on your maturity level as well.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree that age differences can work, but the fact that the guy had the entire internet and selected such a young girl concerns me. It would be different if they were thrown together in real life and just fell for each other.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i appreciate everyone worrying about me.

i joined the forum we met on about two months ago.

when he started messaging me he didnt know how much younger i was then him. when i did tell him he really shy-ed (sp???) away.
he had depression and some health problems and is now getting out of his shell.

i agree that i would be thinking red flag if i read this about someone else. but despite the age difference we are the same age um... mentally? what i mean is i'm 19 years old but i am very mature for my age. i didnt have any friends in school because i couldnt stand how immature they were (looking back i notice i was ahead of them).

neither of us are looking to tie the knot and settle down right off, dont worry about that! i'm not THAT far ahead...

its hard to explain him... he's not like all the people around me. he's nice and sweet and talks to my dad all the time... he wants to learn about all the farming stuff... he has a very similar personality to me and in some ways we balance each other out.

and he wont be visiting for quite a while so there will be lots more talking before theres any kind of action. and dont worry about "action" either. he talks about holding my hand and when i brought up kissing i could about hear him blushing.

thanks you all :)

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Most of the guys on "To Catch a Predator" are shy and 'sweet'. If you were my daughter, this man would be seeing the end of my shotgun, not being driven to the farmhouse for some lemonade.

But then I guess dad knows how 19 year olds are. If they wanna, they're gonna. And they have to learn for themselves.

Then again, maybe dad is luring him to the farm to get some taking care of taken care of, ahem. God willing.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wishing you well and dreading the time my dd starts dating!

My dh is a few years older than me. I don't see age as a huge factor,but the life goals can be very different depending on your age.

My friend has a really nice guy,but that guy is a bit older and has older kids.Staying with him means no kids for my friend.Not an issue at the moment,but it might be one later on. She might regret never having her own kid.

morgj

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There was an elderly couple at our church (both have passed on now) We had a big celebration for their 65th wedding anniversary. When they got married he was 26 and she was 16. It worked for them.

Obviously you have to keep your eyes and ears open, and trust your instinct. Peers and friends can provide insight based on their own experiences. If you are old enough to be able to vote and sent off to war, you are certainly old enough to make an informed decision provided you allow your mind to guide your heart.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Not going to comment on age difference, online, heartbreak, etc.

However I will point out that there are some extra big risks in getting involved in someone who lives far away from you. If you should get serious, unless you decide to move in together for a year or two (which is still a big monkeywrench to your life if it goes wrong) then your ability to find out what the person is REALLY like, in everyday right-there-in-person life, is extremely limited.

I met my husband online -- we were casual acquaintances for several years and actually don't remember what year we first met in person :p, before we started actually seeing each other. He lived only 2 hours away from me, but still, it was just "visits" not hanging out every day type thing.

Boy, can you ever NOT get an accurate impression of some people that way. Some people are very good at putting up a "front" and lying about things as long as it's on an intermittant basis; but when you actually, say, leave your career and move to a different country and marry them, their energy for putting up that front kind of evaporates and you can be fairly surprised.

If he'd lived in the same city or something like that, OTOH, I seriously do not think that'd have been the case for us.

Just a thought, not trying to rain on your parade, just be cautious, k?

Good luck, have fun but not too much fun LOL,

Pat