Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On second cup, about to get dressed and start the day. Going to have a neighbor boy help today. BJ is in charge oh pulling goat weed from the backyard and pasture 2. I’ll be whacking on ragweed and lambs quarters in the garden. And want to machete chop poke plants in the horse lot

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
today is apparently the day for me to gather and process all my herbs. I have a tincture of white horehound started, got some dill seed to package up, and some dill weed to dry and then package. I picked a bunch of catnip and tarragon for my friends. Filled a shopping bag up half with marjoram and half with peppermint for drying, and a couple of big handfuls of chives to freeze for winter omelets. I still need to harvest some sage, and cut some of the comfrey to make comfrey tea. Next, I need to plant a flat of some sort of legumes so I can check whether the straw I have has toxic herbicides in it (soak the straw in water and then use the water on the seedlings; if the leaves end up looking wonky, probably shouldn't use it in the garden). Probably should check the manure some friends gave me too, since he feeds them commercial hay.
Tell us how the experiment goes.

Sounds interesting.

What do you do with the horehound?

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our water pressure has gone way down- to where you can't wash dishes and do laundry or take a shower at the same time. It's too low to use any kind of watering sprayer- even a hand held one. So we are watering with a bubbler or just the end hose with the valve open just enough to make a kind of spray. Since we doubled the size of the garden this year it's making watering in this heat a multi-day affair. I'm hoping/praying it doesn't mean our well is drying up. Plus, Mama Hen figured out where she could get into the garden to follow her chicks who are still small enough to just waltz in. I wasn't worried about the babies, because they are too small to do much damage scratching and pecking around the plants, but Mama did a number on the green beans. DH spent two whole days patching here, patching there, with bits and pieces of leftover 1" mesh chicken wire. He may have been successful finally, because the last two days we haven't found her in the garden. I was able to gather about 8 pounds of green beans still. Half of them I freeze dried, the others are going into the canner today.
Scary about your well.

Our well is heavily reliant on rainfall. So, if we don't get much rain it starts to slow, but as soon as rain picks up, the well picks up.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use a church key (the wide end) VERY gently, just until I hear the hissing of the broken seal. At the most, I sometimes have to roll that spot along the counter to push the edge back into alignment. Been doing this for years, and re-using the lids for vacuum sealing my freeze dried stuff.

yep, works a charm. so easy too. Mom won't learn how to do it, but that's ok. :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does it take more than one silkie to make the feeder open? Maybe put a little feed ON the flap to make them step onto the treadle? Chickens are pretty smart!