Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good rant! People eat processed -- fact. They do not want the work they think is part of a good food meal. Simply buying wise and fresh, reading labels....eat more food without labels needed!....and they can be just fine. Personally, I'd not
ever want to have to give up my fresh milk!

A homesteader does work more if they grow & harvest their own food. No health issues and an active life make it worth the effort to me. But a good farmer's market and smart shopping can work for the "city dudes".

What MY RANT is -- those who use gov't food cards should not be able to fill their carts with soda, candy, cookies, sugary cereals, etc. Make them buy healthy food, not all the crap.
:he I have NO problem with the financial assist, just the ability to destroy their health at our expense. Then, all the health issues that follow need more money. Stop at source -- food.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
20200208_085451.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I feel guilty. Did not help with Toys for Tots this year. Worried about bringing COVID home to the wife. So much 1:1 public interaction, checking id's, etc., plus no extra precautions beyond a mask.

I can't risk bringing it home. I feel like I maybe was TOO cautious

Good news is 350 families/900 kids have a little something for Christmas.

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Speaking of fruitcake - family lore...my paternal grandmother and her MIL (grandpa's mom) figured out there was good money in holiday fruitcakes to be made. Both were anti drinkers, so the projected money must have been good. They made up 20 or so, alcohol and all, and left them set for the prescribed time. Just prior to selling them, they tasted them and, having never tasted alcohol, thought the fruitcakes "went bad" and fed them to to chickens. My aunt loved telling the story of the drunk rooster staggering around

Supposedly, some small remnant remained that a family friend tasted it and told them it was perfect and they could have gotten top dollar

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Been having warm muggy weather, but all called for rain has been going right around us... several downpours and INCHES of rain north and west and pop up to the east.
Today not as warm, low 80's, but very humid. Thought it was going to really rain awhile ago but went around again.

Miss not having the garden, but getting the final moving done is paramount. Plus the knees won't stand for much.
DS is going to cut most of this off for hay as I was not going to lawn mow 2 acres. Might put in a little bit late stuff after he gets hay off the area I want to have it.

Got more moved and more into the dumpster... I am a pack rat, and have so much from my grandmother's house from years ago...
Going to have a yard sale later on this summer to clean out some stuff...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use a church key (the wide end) VERY gently, just until I hear the hissing of the broken seal. At the most, I sometimes have to roll that spot along the counter to push the edge back into alignment. Been doing this for years, and re-using the lids for vacuum sealing my freeze dried stuff.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mum just left, her little dog didnt want to go! He's a real city-type dog, goes to cafes and doggy day care and so on, but I think he really loves his visits here. He was so settled and sweet with the bunnies. He helped me to round up the ducks at night and was so proud of himself. I doubt he has ever been so muddy in his life!

While its wet here now, we've had water restrictions in Australia for my entire life. People will dob in others if they run their reticulation at the wrong time. There are fines for running water at the wrong times, though I think most people get away with warnings. There is a retic system, where certain house numbers are allowed to water on certain days. They used to put the house numbers on the news at night as to who could water their garden when. Even where I am here, out of the city, there are only two days a week that I can run sprinklers, but hand watering with hose has less restrictions. I let the grass grow over winter and die off over summer. It would be nuts to water all of that area every day.

One of the nicest gardens in town is one that is full of succulents. They can be used so artistically and are so water efficient. I had to save a few from my garden from root rot so I have pieces in old yogurt pots, hoping to grow a few more plants. Even I cant kill them!