Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The bread didn't happen. Cut the pumpkins open, and they were rotted inside.

In fact, a whole lot of nothing happened yesterday except for changing the furnace filter
You inspired me to make pumpkin pie and muffins yesterday. I used butternut squash. Thank you. 💗

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
y'all really do rub off on me. Thanks to @flowerbug I had lukewarm leftover lasagna for breakfast. :D

completely guilt-free i am an enabler for sure. :) moderation is my hardest thing though.

as the youngest of four kids in a hungry household you learned to eat as fast as you can and if you were lucky you could get seconds. that is a horribly bad habit for older years though. :(

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
completely guilt-free i am an enabler for sure. :) moderation is my hardest thing though.

as the youngest of four kids in a hungry household you learned to eat as fast as you can and if you were lucky you could get seconds. that is a horribly bad habit for older years though. :(
I'm also the youngest of 4, and yep, if you eat fast you might get seconds. I made myself sick a few times doing that. Eat more carrots to get mac n cheese. Never got the mac n cheese, and I hated carrots for 2 decades after.

Another big family/food insecurity effect is being forced or pressured to eat foods one dislikes. In hindsight, all of my childhood dislikes turned out to be allergens. Parenting tip: if a 4 year old complains that orange juice burns her mouth, consider the possibility she's not "just being dramatic" and that it actually burns her mouth.? My sister has oral allergy syndrome from orange. I have rather mild symptoms from consuming orange, but worse symptoms if it touches my skin. It has gotten steadily worse so I stay away from it and other citrus.

Most of my health problems are from childhood diet and eating patterns.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you for reminding me that I need to work on our household eating habits for myself and for the kids! My mom has food issues from when she was a kid and I never learned healthy eating habits and I need to focus on helping my kids break the cycle!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for reminding me that I need to work on our household eating habits for myself and for the kids! My mom has food issues from when she was a kid and I never learned healthy eating habits and I need to focus on helping my kids break the cycle!
I can always improve on this area as well. I mean we try, really try, but there might have been some homemade french fries eaten by my DD7 for breakfast yesterday...I was making egg bakes with fresh hash browns and she asked. :thBut I was able to use up 2 of the 6 dozen eggs in my fridge :) and lots of veggies in the crisper drawer

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had 2 birthdays in our house plus Halloween in the past week… so today was supposed to be a return to normalcy. But then DD2 had an engorged tick on her😩 so waiting to hear back from her pediatrician regarding antibiotics. The deer ticks have been bad this fall, which is not normal for us.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had 2 birthdays in our house plus Halloween in the past week… so today was supposed to be a return to normalcy. But then DD2 had an engorged tick on her😩 so waiting to hear back from her pediatrician regarding antibiotics. The deer ticks have been bad this fall, which is not normal for us.

i hope they caught it early enough so that there was no infection!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm in a lyme endemic area too. DH did research on ticks when he was in college - collecting ticks for testing to measure prevalance of Lyme in the tick population. There are some areas of our state we will never visit because of what he learned. We are super cautious now. DS6 had an engorged tick on him a couple years ago, we saved the tick and send it in for testing. TG it was negative for Lyme and apparently didn't carry any other diseases.

I hope your DD is is okay and your pediatrician has a healthy fear of Lyme disease.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If you can get rid of "natural flavor" in purchased foods it will help a lot! It's not easy, and can be expensive if you don't have time/energy to make homemade snacks. It's worth it if you can make it happen.

Latest posts