STARTING with ideas to raise money

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Could ou buy some tarps to cover the whole roof while you are waiting for the new one? That could hold off any rain and protect the insulation until the new roof comes.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It would be worth tarping the roof, or the highest or worst portions anyhow, when the insulation is put in. The $50 or $100 it costs for a giant tarp would be WELL repaid by not ruining $650 worth of insulation!

Good luck,

Pat

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Smart suggestions!

Our rainy season is almost at an end now.

The roof has been tarped 100% for about a month, and even during our heavy rains the leaks haven't stopped. I firmly believe it is the flashing around the air conditioner, since it is right above the leak. So far, no one believes me. They see the exposed wood and they cover it, but they don't do anything about the flashing.

I am certain we will re-tarp after the insulation is installed. It would be foolish not to. The insulation won't be done until April, because I will be gone for a week. We shouldn't have much more rain anyway, but I won't take any chances.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Sign me up for a donation. Just post an addy so I know where and when to send the check. ;)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It would be worth tarping the roof, or the highest or worst portions anyhow, when the insulation is put in. The $50 or $100 it costs for a giant tarp would be WELL repaid by not ruining $650 worth of insulation!

Good luck,

Pat
VERY good idea!! :thumbsup

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I find it incredible that regulations require you to get the insulation before you have a decent roof in place to protect it!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:rant That's because rules are made by bueracrates(?) and not normal people with some common sense. :somad (Tried to edit for spelling and still got it wrong!)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I posted a fundraising thermometer on my blog, and a post about the first few dollars I have raised.

I will probably do the first bake sale this Wednesday, then we have Easter vacation and then start again. Thinking of a sign to put up, and when my friend's hand surgery heals, maybe she can help with a premanent fundraising thermometer on the garage door.

I have started the syllabus for the Frugal Living Cooperative Workshops, and am taking it on the cruise with me to complete. It will ultimately be an E-Book, copies of which will be included in the (nominal) fee for the workshop.

My mom has given me some spending money for the cruise, which I hope to hang on to for the roof fund.

Baby steps !!!

Edited to add that I cleaned out my fabrics and found a 16 yard piece of green heavyweight broadcloth, a ten yard piece of black twill, and another ten yards of beige twill, also five yards of denim, that I can use to make totes. I am practicing on one for myself with inside organizational pockets. I think I could just do a simple one for groceries, maybe with an outside pocket for lists, coupons, a pen maybe...

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I don't have permission to give a name, but I do want to make a public acknowledgement that one of our members sent me a very generous donation for my roof fund. I have new energy this morning as a result of her support.

Wednesday, I am going to have a small bake sale for the local middle school and high school students as they walk by after school. I will make a small sign. But eventually I will be making a garage door size sign for advertising of various endeavors.

I have 13 pages completed in the syllabus for the Self-Sufficiency workshops. Going to write out the detail while onboard ship next week.

I have decided to call it "Homemaker Survivial Workshops". I have seven workshops planned, two hours each, over two weekends, each with a different focus: Introduction and rationale, dehydrating, canning, long term storage, gardening, seven ways to cook a meal without a stove or a microwave, general household tips and techniques, to include recipes. Printed material will be given at each workshop, and if one attends four or more, they receive the E-book, which will include all the printed material, and a lot more as well.

I would really appreciate suggestions, feedback, or contributions to the workshops, if anyone is so inclined. I can't include chickens, goats, sheep, etc., as the demographic is "small city", and we aren't really allowed to have those sorts of things.

I would HUGELY appreciate contributions about meal planning and recipes so I can make this real and relatable to the women who may attend.

Thanks AGAIN !!!

I am really encouraged today...feeling empowered, and it is because of one woman's generosity. Thank you.