Sufficient Self Journal Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey everyone, how is this journal section working for y'all? Any comments or suggestions before I try to roll this out on BYC?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, for the first week we all got so excited about our journals, that we kind of neglected the rest of the site. But we were gently reminded to post SS stuff in the proper areas and not just in our journals, and after a week or so of a general journal buzz, I think for the most part we are getting back to posting in other areas, too and not neglecting it as much.

I think maybe when introducing this to BYC, maybe make sure you tell people that it is NOT mandatory to do a journal, and that not everyone will reply to everyone's journals. And that they don't have to post to their journals everyday or anything.

I for one, love the journal section! I may not post to everyone's journals, but I do try to read them all. I am loving getting to know the members here better by reading their journals.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is JMO but I think that journals might turn into a train wreck on BYC for a couple reasons. 1) They provide a really good avenue for "picking on" someone. 2)The number of posts/replies is a bit of a popularity contest and someone is bound to get offended. 3)They will take away from the other forums for a while until their novelty wears off.

I'm not super crazy about them on this site but since there are relatively few of us it is ok. I just skip over them. But on a high volume site like BYC...

I'm picturing locked journals, offended journalists, and a few weeks of journal craziness while the rest of the site suffers and newcomers getting turned off.

This, again, is just my opinion and it's all I will say on the subject :duc

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
poppycat said:
This is JMO but I think that journals might turn into a train wreck on BYC for a couple reasons. 1) They provide a really good avenue for "picking on" someone. 2)The number of posts/replies is a bit of a popularity contest and someone is bound to get offended. 3)They will take away from the other forums for a while until their novelty wears off.

I'm not super crazy about them on this site but since there are relatively few of us it is ok. I just skip over them. But on a high volume site like BYC...

I'm picturing locked journals, offended journalists, and a few weeks of journal craziness while the rest of the site suffers and newcomers getting turned off.

This, again, is just my opinion and it's all I will say on the subject :duc
You pose some valid points.

Also, lot more work for the mods there!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Totally valid reply and opinion and very much appreciated!

Maybe I should move this discussion over there so people can post relative to BYC, but it is good to see how it is working (or not working) over here.

Either way we are going to divide up the "me my chickens and my family" section over there because it is just a mess / hodge podge of stuff.

Keep the feedback coming!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You know, Rob, I think Poppycat is right.....think long and hard about it over on BYC. It should be discussed a bit, and maybe refer the moderators from BYC over here to see what's going on, before you decide to do it.

I think once the novelty wears off it settles down, but with so many posters over there that may take quite awhile.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I don't like the journals mostly but it may just be sour grapes in that I have a very boring life and couldn't think of anything worth taking the time to write down. :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I don't like the journals mostly but it may just be sour grapes in that I have a very boring life and couldn't think of anything worth taking the time to write down. :lol:
Eh hem, read my journal entry for today and you might feel better about your life! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.