Sufficient Self Journal Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I vote unclear. I PMed for clarification. No response yet, but it's only been a few hours.

My thought was that I must have missed something juicy. Because I am not sure what else it means. I would really appreciate a very clear explanation from ICU4dzs. If I didn't miss some blow up, then I would really like to know what the motivation is for this restriction.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I'm not sure what he meant either, but I've also been thinking today of maybe asking Nifty if we could have the journal section here viewable by members only - because so many of us DO talk about things that are, well, personal.

I wanted to talk about something in my journal today, and removed it, because I realized that anyone can read our journals on here, and not just members.

Most of us have developed friendships here, and we come to vent, get advice, or just let a load off. I am not comfortable discussing most recent events in the public format for fear that someone will read it that I don't want to read it.

Hope I'm making sense. :/

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Here is my take on the journals....

I posted in mine from the first day, for a long time, then noticed that every time I came in all I found was journal entries, the forum seemed to go wayside. Then it started coming back around (kinda) but then I started getting bashed in other journals for what I'd posted (personal stuff) then I was noticing people posting "I'm better than you" posts in my journal. I've completely stopped posting in it. I've not been coming to SS as often for the reason that sifting through journals to find a relivant bit of info was daunting. However, I've noticed that its not so bad any more.

DON"T GET ME WRONG....I know people need these journals, and have really gotten close with each other through them. We've even learned from each other's mistakes. But personally, I'm sacking mine. I don't need the drama. JMO

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I usually used post what I have accomplished in my journal. Which I could just as easily post in a appropriate "topic" thread. I used to post personal stuff but decided that was not good idea.

Spent some time deleting.

gina

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think the journals can be an important learning tool for those who document their progress in this SS effort. They can also show others the results of trying this or that method. They help one document the improvement of their knowledge base by showing it all in one place....sort of a sounding board, a collection of SS experiences, a documentation of a journey.

I also think one can become a little too comfortable revealing their lives on these journals and it leaves you open to attack from mean people who have no interest in the actual purpose of this forum. This is the reason I removed mine.

I think if we could have more categories involving the individual interests of some groups on the forum where they can document their learning curve on certain things....like kefir, livestock husbandry and food animals, beekeeping, specific nutritional discussions, gardening, etc that it may encourage people to place more info there instead of in their journals.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I only post in it occasionally and pretty much use it to record things I've done. Noting when I started a garden and what I planted would be a good idea. Talking about the period I lived way off grid fits because we used many SS skills there.
Talking about big changes in my life would fit but I'd leave out many personal things. Just remember it NOT your diary.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I have to say, I started my journal, but don't put much in it. Just stuff that I didn't think deserved an entire thread, like putting in my tile floor. Didn't really fit anywhere, but I was proud of how it turned out.

I don't tend to read whole journals, either, but if a tag line catches my eye I will read the last page or so to see what's happening.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I love the journal section. Bits and pieces of peoples lives. I always read them even if I don't always post in them.

Reading about each others success and failures, problems and how they were solved or the advice of the other members is like a free book section. And even though it may not be a post about canning or solar power or anything else that most would consider SS, it is a part of daily life. Much like reading the Little House books. But instead of one family, there are many. Each with its on unique approach. There is much to be learned from each and every one.

And they all get personal because we are human. I just try to remember that this is a public forum and try not to put in to much personal info. But sometimes raw emotion takes precedence over good sense.

Yes, I love the journals and the people who post them. It makes all other post in other dedicated sections much more real. Kind of like watching a neighbor solve a problem similar to your own. You walk next door and feel comfortable asking, Hey, how did you do that, and know the advice you are about to get is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts