Tamlynn's journal that needs an interesting name -I'm a gramma -pics!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
The apricot tree forgot to bloom! We are so sad, because last year it only had 3 fruits, and only one survived to ripen. We were really hoping for a good crop this year. What could cause the tree to skip flowering and go straight to leafing? The peaches are all blooming beautifully.
I don't know in Southern CAL, but around here when they do that the buds are usually frost bitten.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just in case anyone cares, its 84 degrees outside today.

Crossing the line-the backyard/frontyard line. This winter dh pulled out our giant bird of paradise. It was getting way too big and we figured we'd rather plant something that gave us food. We thought about a banana, because that would be fun. But then I got practical and thought maybe a dwarf apple. But dh didn't like that idea. Remember, our yard is 55' x 105' feet. That includes a sidewalk, driveway, paved patio area and a house.

So anyway, trying to figure out what to do with this small patch of dirt I get an idea. Zucchinni. Oh boy. What will the neighbors say? It's one thing to have a lemon tree in the front yard, but actual vegetables? Don't sane people know vegetables are for the back yard? But after some consideration, I think I'm willing to cross that line. I already have chickens and homeschool and am Mormon. What else can be said? :lol::lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
Just in case anyone cares, its 84 degrees outside today.
First of all :tongue

Next of all ... join me .... join me. I too grow veggies in the front yard! What many people don't think about is how pretty some veggies really are. I have had passersby stop to ask me about my "exotic orange flowers" that were really pumpkin vines. My rainbow chard is a lovely bedding green. I have grown purple beans and red okra. I have grown scarlet runner beans and calico limas. Brussels Sprouts behind some annuals are noble looking specimens and hot peppers can pack a punch in more than one way.

These days lots of veggies are very colorful and beautiful as well as yummy!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I completely agree! Nothing wrong with veggies in the front...they key to keeping the neighbors happy is just to keep it tended so it does not look messy.

Zukes are great plants, big beautiful leaves......I vote go for it!

Edited to ask about the apricots...did you prune your apricot?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am not sure about apricots, are we sure they grow on new wood?

I had one in my younger (dumber) years, as I recall it produced better when I neglected it. So I am wondering if the grow on last years wood?

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just a brag about dinner tonight.

We had spaghetti with meatballs and garlic toast. Not that incredible, right? I guess its the ingredients and the methods i'm proud of. Instead of pasta I like to use spaghetti squash. They grew as volunteers in my garden last summer and have stored very well in my garage. The sauce included home-canned home grown tomatoes and shredded frozen zucchini -also home grown, and meatballs that I made ahead of time and froze so they would be ready to use. oh! The meatballs had eggs in them from our chickens. Then I had homemade bread that I made into garlic toast. So yummy.

So yeah, I made my kids listen to how awesome their dinner was as they ate. :lol: