Television

solarkate

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think TV makes people idle, and distorts their sense of reality. I've heard kids saying things like "remember the one where...?" when they're talking about real-life happenings; like life is a TV show. I'm not too old, but I've noticed this, and to avoid wasting my time, money, and welfare, I avoid watching TV.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I've never even heard of the Planet Green channel. Sounds like something I would like.
Well spring has sprung and we're too busy to get online or watch tv. We use it to fall asleep to in the evenings. As if we need any help. :lol: We cut Netflix down to two movies a month and that is more than enough for us at this time of year. I'm learning to become more selective in what we get from them and how to find what we both like to watch.
Just wish there was a better way to find out when shows that we would really like to watch on tv are coming on, so we could plan for them.
While flipping through channels the other day, SO came across a show about people living off the grid. It was a lot of fun to watch. Too bad we missed the beginning, as usual. :barnie

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think TV makes people idle, and distorts their sense of reality.
If you want to get technical, you could say the same thing about reading.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
As an obsessive reader, I just have to defend books :old

They really can be a waste of time, but at least your brain is learning new words, learning spelling and creating mind pictures as the story progresses.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
CARS said:
Wifezilla said:
I think TV makes people idle, and distorts their sense of reality.
If you want to get technical, you could say the same thing about reading.
or sitting at your computer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Hippocratic!
Hippocratic is an oath that doctors take (or used to take). Maybe you were wanting to use the term hypocrite.

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Reading definately engages your mind...television viewing generally dis engages you from the "real" world....

From another obsessive reader...teaching my children to be obsessive readers..altho they do tend to watch too many movies...

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Since I'm on a roll, I'll take this chance to defend Internet, too. :D Okay, I don't have a leg to stand on, but at least Internet is somewhat interactive and engaging. I learn a TON of info online and get to talk with all you intelligent folks! WAY different experience from the few times I've vegged in front of a TV. Not saying TV is bad, just saying it is definitely different from reading or chatting online.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would have to say that reading is absolutely nothing like watching TV. The imagery your brain creates while reading is actually exercising certain parts of your brain, the act of reading the English language in all its variety is a learning experience that far out-rivals sitting in front of a screen while images are imprinted onto your eye gate. Seeing words in their proper context on a printed page is a learning experience that is far superior to hearing them on a TV.

While reading, your hearing is not bombarded with sounds, sometimes low and then high, as in the extraordinarily loud commercials.

The sound tracks of shows and movies more or less tell you what to feel during every moment....it is not conducive to allowing one to experience a range of emotions as they connect with the material. Its all very manipulative and doesn't require one to actually think or experience an emotion that wasn't intended by the producer.

The majority of TV programming is not geared towards increasing your intellectual level and seems to be mere stimulation or simple entertainment.

You can take a book along with you as you travel through your day and snatch periods of relaxation during times when you are waiting for something else to begin.....lunch, doctor's appt., waiting in line at the bank, etc. I've even read a book while on the treadmill.

One normally doesn't read for 3-4 hours each evening, nor get addicted to a series of books that they really must watch(read) every Thurs. evening.

Nah....I can't see where reading has made me idle or distorted my reality. It has actually spurred me more along my path to SS and has opened my eyes to the reality of the changing world, my place in that world and where I want to be in the future of my world.

Reading doesn't normally distort one's reality, but rather opens one's mind to other realities, other people's lives or culture, other views on any given subject.

TV seems to slant their views and one is not given the full range of information in order to make an informed opinion, whereas one can go to a library and check out information on just about any subject and all the facets of that subject.

And, finally, I've yet to see a doctor advise dementia or ALZ patients to watch more TV to stimulate their minds and keep them active. They do, however, recommend reading the paper, doing crossword puzzles, reading varied material that challenges you to think.