THE HUNTING THREAD. POST PICS, STORIES, AND RECIPES

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Yes, Turkey is in here, too, or it's about to come in, can't remember. I know it comes in October, and we have been trying hard to keep our turkeys in their pen so no one shoots them by mistake. Turkeys have minds of their own, though. :rolleyes:
In VT there is a short turkey season in the fall for hens with shotgun or bow. Usually only bow in some places.
With a larger season anywhere for toms in the spring :)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Huntign today was sucessful!

My dad shot a big snowshoe hair and I shot a woodcock. Woodcock tastes excellent, I haven't tried rabbit yet. Tomorrow we will be eating them. :)
pics coming later.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
72_picture_018.jpg

Jager's (the dog) (which means 'hunter' in dutch) first time hunting. We went out duck hunting, and she was so pumped. My dh shot at a duck-missed, but Jager went out across the pond and was over there for about 15 minutes looking for the duck. She finally came back,and she retrieved the wad from the shotgun shell.

72_picture_008_r1.jpg

At our camp up north. Hubby was hunting with a few friends. His friend shot this moose with a compound bow. We ate good that year!

72_picture_014.jpg

Black bear. Yes, we eat bear too.

72_img_2508.jpg

My dd went out turkey hunting last spring with her dad. This is the first year in our area where turkey is open in the fall, although hubby is focusing on deer this fall.

72_img_1520.jpg

My sons first rabbits-last winter.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My first hunting experience
I think I was about 22. I needed to help put meat on the table so I told my dad I was going to hunt. He gave me lessons and geared me up with the 30.06. I sat in the tree branch, ground log blind
until just about dark. I am getting cold. Very cold. :|
A deer comes in, I watch it. Slowly, ever so slowly the gun goes up to my shoulder. I try to control my breathing. I stare at the deer thru the scope. My heart is pounding. My eyes are starting to water. The gun gets heavier and heavier. I take a break from staring thru the scope. 5 minutes later, my heart is still pounding, my eyes are still watering. I bring the gun back up to my shoulder. I take aim and a deep breath and let it out slowly.
My finger pulls slowly on the trigger. OH OH cramp, finger is cramping. OMG it hurts. I try to rub it. Every move I make creates these loud noises, I am sure the deer is going to hear me and run off. :/
Ok, cramp is gone. I bring the gun up to my shoulder again, determined to make the shot. I look thru the scope, put the crosshairs just behind the front shoulder and partway up the body, just like dad told me to. I pull the trigger..BANG. The deer jumps and jumps again, into the thick trees. I am shaking and freezing, but I sit there for 15 minutes (like dad said to). I quietly make my way out of the blind and up the
hill to the house. I unload the gun and go in. Dad looks up and asks did you get anything? Yes, I said. About 20 minutes ago. My grin was splitting my face in half. Dad puts on his blaze orange and off we go in search of....MY deer. We get to the bait pile and look around..No blood dad says as he shines the light over the ground. are you sure you hit it? he asks me. Yes, I am sure. :rolleyes: I heard it stumble in the trees. We look.and look. Finally we see blood, then MY deer. YAY. I just
got my first deer! :cool:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Roosmom! I loved your story! That's just how my boys describe it....seems mandatory for hunters to relive the hunt as it seems to be the most exciting part....not the actual killing but all the other aspects!

My son, Eli, just shot one with a bow this evening. His bow is very powerful and fast, so the arrow went clear through with a loud crack! Found it 20 yards away with a lung shot and the lung had plugged the exit hole, so no blood trail either. I've seen that bow break both shoulder blades of a very large deer, so he's quite lethal.

Not bad for a hunting spot 75 yards from your house and only about 1 1/2 acres on which to hunt! :p Its such a small area that we have to bring the dogs in the house before he goes hunting or they will scare away the deer. The cat followed him up to the tree stand and almost ruined the hunt! :lol: Helps that we have our own orchard to bring in the deer.... :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed, it is always the heart pounding hyperventilation part that is addictive, not the actual killing. lol :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
roosmom said:
Beekissed, it is always the heart pounding hyperventilation part that is addictive, not the actual killing. lol :D
Yup, the adrenaline rush!

and then the mouth watering anticipation while it's cooking and you can't wait to sink your teeth into it!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
The anticipation.

I process my own deer. After I skin and gut out comes the tenderloin and the rest of the work gets put on hold while I get something to eat, fresh venison tenderloin.