the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
last night someone ran over our street address marker and took out some bricks and stones and almost made it all the way down to the stop sign. they left the road quite a ways previous to the driveway and where the marker was at so they were off the road for about 160ft.

we both slept through whoever and whenever it was.

i was able to bend the post for the marker so it stands back up but i have to go out later with a pair of pliers to unbend the sign itself since it is curled up a bit. the ditch has water in it so i'll have to pull the rocks and bricks back out with a cultivator.

it is hard to say if it was someone under the influence or someone trying to avoid hitting a deer... both of those things happen a lot around here.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
went out and cleaned up the mess as much as i could and then walked down to the stop sign to see what went on there.

they damaged a part of our fence around the cedar trees in that corner along with crunching one of the honeysuckle trees.

if i'd put much larger rocks at the end of the driveway they'd have made a much bigger mess out of their car much sooner and never made it another 100ft to almost hit the stop sign and crunch our fence and tree...

also if we'd have had a mailbox out there it would have been goners...

and then as a post, post thought, if they'd have gone off the road a bit more before they hit the driveway they'd have likely flipped their car...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i forgot to mention that Adzuki beans are also pretty easy to shell (some will even shatter when i harvest them which isn't great, but oh well...). i have a bunch of Adzuki pods mixed in with the various bags of beans so as i'm going along and shelling i'm getting bonus beans from those as i interplanted them in many gardens just to see how they would do.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
snow all melted soon after it arrived. this morning greeted by a heavy frost and sunshine so the light breeze is making things sparkle as the frost burns off. watching birdies... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did get the desk cleaned off and some spider webs cleaned removed from the decorations in the window and on the window sill. i only found one spider. one! in all that mess i expected a bit more action.

in other cleaning and organizing news i went back over the area i did my spider hunt (Nov 23) and found six small spiders so i'm glad i did it because it means i've kept after them and made progress on knocking down the population. Mom said she has some webs in her room she wants me to check and i will but not tonight... it is interesting to me because i'm also using this as a way to learn more about spider habits, reproduction and how they manage to survive in a house (i'm pretty sure that they do eat each other).

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
forecast 58F and sunny today with plenty of wind. just not right! no snow... :(

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If they don't the goats will. Mine broke thru & over a 5' fence, stake with t-posts, 4' from trees.....killed 3 blooming apple trees😡. I'd add solar electric, thinking back.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Too early in the morning for me, I forget what this project of yours is.

the short version is i'm getting my entire financial history put into a format that can be used to do accounting. i'm using a program called beancount to process the results.

the longer version (eyes glaze over in the audience - that's ok) is that i've already in the past typed some of my history into text files in columns and they've been a starting point for me to get other things done, but up until now i didn't work on the most complicated file of all which is my checking account from a credit union. they did not offer any kind of electronic version back then so up until more recent years it was all paper statements and then electronic ones, but the actual transaction history i could use was more recent. so all those old transactions that i typed in took me to midway through 2005 and then i stopped making entries. so the file is not complete, but at least i did not have to type it all in again to get this far. pretty much four days of editing though to get it all cleaned up and being more consistent and adding details as i recall them.

one mistake i thought i made threw me off until this last editing session where i realized i'd conflated two things into one and the positive numbers i was depositiing were actually correct when i though they were a mistake. it came back to me that yes, this one guy was renting a room and was paying me his share of the rent. so those lines had to be re-edited again and turned into Income instead of an Expense.

so getting those 1980 - 2005 entries edited and properly classified and fixed up to be more consistent was a five day project. and then the program i'd already written for another project was adapted to work for this one so that was another few days. :) if you ever need a column/table wrangler type of program "petl" is useful and the computer language Python was fun to work with more for doing this... (i'm gradually making more sense of it as i'd not done too much with it before, in the past i've normally used shells scripts for the quick stuff and C for the more complicated things that i had to write lexical and parser grammers and then use those, but i'm able to do that easily enough)...

now that i have all those done for now i can move on to the paper statements and adding the years between 2005 and halfway through 2020 when i pick up with the current data. i'll have to go grab my checkbooks and see who and what i may have wrote on the recipts, but it is possible those are not legible any longer so i may only have the amounts and guesses...

I do understand your enjoyment of getting the data "right", though. Although, I have, on occasion, said "good enough". Lol

yes, i have to do some of that. guesstimating... many times i just withdrew money and called it cash but might not have kept any notes on the check or ... and at those times i also had old e-mail files to work with to give me context but those were lost and at one time i decided that even if i kept working on retrieving those files i didnt want to so i wiped it all including my recovery files and my backups to keep me from dredging through it. now i wish i'd kept it anyways. oh well...

when i get to that point i'll tag those entries with a code which means i'm guessing about it somehow.

i'm just glad now that i'm somewhat done with the longest running account (mostly done) and am working on the next longest running account (which is much more complicated) but now the first part is done so i can move on to the next part of it (money market acct), but i can reuse the tools i've already developed so that will speed it up quite a bit...

just to be on the homestretch of the project instead of the other end when i started out months ago... feels good and helps keep me going to know it will mostly soon be done (in a year or less).

in the meantime what i've done already is helping me keep current too. so i'm not as behind as i was before.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i wanted to mow today, but Mom had other ideas so she started mowing yesterday morning. i want to encourage her to be as active as possible but there is a really uneven area that is difficult for her so i take over when she's had enough and gets to that area. so hopefully that will be the new routine.

that means i have today to putter around, water and weed and do other projects.

plumber isn't calling back so i'll have to give the other ones a call and see if they can get here.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
did get the other plumber scheduled to come by Monday to fix the exterior faucet - i mentioned i'd like a better quality one because the one we had put in some years ago didn't last very long. we'll see how that goes...