Thermostat--your winter LOW

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That article just proves to me how crazy some people truly are. Even primitive people try to find a shelter that keeps them safe, out of the elements and WARM.

I can understand not heating some of the huge loft spaces they describe. Even I would probably live with them staying cold, but like the guy with the yurt in his living room, I think you need a warm zone to cozy up in to relax and sleep.

Also they do not waste money and resources on heat yet they let the faucets drip? That is just weird.

Give me my 80 degree wood heated living room any day!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would like to keep my apartment cooler than it is. SO isn't so much a fan of warmth, and I sleep better when it's a cold room and a bad with TONS of blankets. Unfortunately, my apartment ends up exactly whatever temp the apartments around me are. I haven't had my heat on since the beginning of December, and my apartment is currently... 76 degrees. Of course, I do live in a cider block basement, so I think that help with the insulation thing! :rolleyes:

I agree though, I though it was pretty weird as far as the people doing the cold thing in the article for the environment that they would then let their faucets drip. I also wouldn't be able to handle that. I HATE drippy faucets.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I agree . . . I thought it was lame that the one lady let the faucet drip. I preferred the one guy's solution of installing heat tape on the pipes.

When I lived in a dorm room at college, I used to have to keep a window open at all times, even in the dead of winter, because the rooms around me were always leaking heat into my room. :p

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I'm a little late to this thread but I'm one of those poeple who lived in a early 1900s house, no insulation or heating. No heat blankets either. My secret? For an hour or two before sleep I would crank a dish heater up, keep my door closed (I had no curtains) and my border collie/two MASSIVE cats and a few chihuahuas would pile around me. That kept the warmth in till the morning.

I don't feel like I ever need a heater again, unless I live in Alaska or something o_O

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got myself in a mess with credit card debt and ended up in a run down trailer with no heat, no AC and no stove. I was afraid to run space heaters because the trailer was so old that the receptacles were falling out of the walls and soemtimes had exposed wires.

I made "corn bags" from cotton cloth and feed corn - microwaved a few minutes, tossed them in the bed while I took a scorching shower (no wet hair though!) and then dashed to bed in sweats. My Lab (100lbs) and 3 cats slept with me. There were mornings so cold my shampoo would be 'frozen' (not solid - but like gel, would pile up in your hand - as would the hand soap).
Now, I have a new trailer / mobile home with central heat and air. We had a record cold snap (FLorida ;) ) of lows in the teens for over a week, highs never breaking freezing. I set my heat on 54 and thought I had surely died and gone to heaven.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!!! Isn't amazing the things we take for granted. Congratulations on improving your situation. I am sure you will never take that heat for granted.

gina