This may be a touchy subject, but ..... Marijuana

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Exactly. It gets to the issue of laws and control and how they should be applied. People rarely agree on such things.

My personal belief is if you are an adult, you should be able to smoke pot, drink whiskey, snort cheetos or even eat meat. The consequences of those actions should be yours and yours alone. I shouldn't have to be put in a position to even have to care what you do to yourself on your property.

There are people who want to make drinking illegal. There are people who, given the chance, would make eating meat illegal. Pot was made illegal to protect the timber industry and to oppress immigrants. How is that helping my health and safety?

Should other people be able to micro-manage your life?

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wifezilla - I agree - no one else should "micro-manage" my life. The only people who should & DO affect my decisions are my wife & children because ultimately I am only responsible for me & my wife & children. I look at it as live & let live - as long as you do not infringe on my life & I do not have to pay to support you.
For instance - if my house catches fire.... having a community fire dept is nice - but ultimately it is my responsibility to get my family out or die trying....

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Wifezilla, I am curious, where are you getting the protection of the timber industry. I researched this several years ago and kept coming back to the same issue. Cotton

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
edited to say yes I had to re-read that

you did state that

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I clearly said WHAT AN ADULT DOES TO THEMSELVES. Big difference between someone experiencing the consequences of their own actions and someone abusing another person. Not sure how that is in any way confusing.

I am curious, where are you getting the protection of the timber industry. I researched this several years ago and kept coming back to the same issue. Cotton
"Harry Anslinger got some additional help from William Randolf Hearst, owner of a huge chain of newspapers. Hearst had lots of reasons to help. First, he hated Mexicans. Second, he had invested heavily in the timber industry to support his newspaper chain and didnt want to see the development of hemp paper in competition. Third, he had lost 800,000 acres of timberland to Pancho Villa, so he hated Mexicans. Fourth, telling lurid lies about Mexicans (and the devil marijuana weed causing violence) sold newspapers, making him rich.

Some samples from the San Francisco Examiner:

Marihuana makes fiends of boys in thirty days Hashish goads users to bloodlust.

By the tons it is coming into this country the deadly, dreadful poison that racks and tears not only the body, but the very heart and soul of every human being who once becomes a slave to it in any of its cruel and devastating forms. Marihuana is a short cut to the insane asylum. Smoke marihuana cigarettes for a month and what was once your brain will be nothing but a storehouse of horrid specters. Hasheesh makes a murderer who kills for the love of killing out of the mildest mannered man who ever laughed at the idea that any habit could ever get him.

And other nationwide columns

Users of marijuana become STIMULATED as they inhale the drug and are LIKELY TO DO ANYTHING. Most crimes of violence in this section, especially in country districts are laid to users of that drug.

Was it marijuana, the new Mexican drug, that nerved the murderous arm of Clara Phillips when she hammered out her victims life in Los Angeles? THREE-FOURTHS OF THE CRIMES of violence in this country today are committed by DOPE SLAVES that is a matter of cold record."
http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/

I didn't know about the cotton industry. So there were 2 big corporate interests that wanted pot illegal along with a bunch of racists. Hum.

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Farmerchick - no no no - it is not that we do not want to be a part of society or that we uphold the horrible things you just mentioned... but the society we DO want to be a part of is one where the individual is responsible for their actions & their own life. In our current society there are too many people who want someone else to take responsibility for their actions. Too many special intrests - too many who abuse the systems & TOO MANY OF US PAYING FOR IT.
I do not know of everyone who joins in conversation here - but my gut feeling from reading the posts is that most are solid, hardworking people who ARE responsible and want to see positive change in our society.
I also want you to realize that making such a broad, uneducated & extreme comment is not only offensive but can also be denied by the facts & studies amassed by the DSS system.
I want to be held accountable by my peers - my family - my church & people of like beliefs who work as hard as I do to have a better life - not by people who have an agenda or who live off of society's generousity as a life long habit.
You have the right to believe the way you please - but please refrain from saying such offensive things about people you do not know & are judging because of their thoughts or ideas...

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
WZ - thanks, I found that while I was looking around. Several years ago I did this research and came up with the main reason hemp was banned was due to cotten farming. They wanted hemp out of the way. They did not want the competition. Which is in a way true. There is just a lot more out there now apparently than when I was originally researching this. Or maybe I just did not dig deep enough then. At any rate, thanks.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I do believe that growing cannabis for fiber is not the same as growing it for the effects of THC.