Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Women in my family tend to get wavy hair as they get grey. Mom didn't get that with her being one of the rare blondes. I was a darker blonde than her but I've darkened over the years. I used to be super straight but have wave now. My hair is still very fine so exercise or just end of the day my hair looks greasy.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been reading along on this thread since the beginning with much interest.
@baymule I also love your hair! And I really really like that it's long. I don't know why there's such an unspoken rule that white hair should be short. I think it's much prettier long. And I agree that it looked fabulous with a tan (and a great smile to boot!)
@tortoise thanks for the list of ingredients causing frizz. And for the whole thread. I was just about to reactivate it when the discussion restarted. The anti-frizz list is really helpful. I've tried different natural things. With varying degrees of success.
I tried coconut oil in my hair once as a conditioner, and figured it'd dry on a 2hr trip to my son's doctor. Nope! It looked like a 50's greased do! Ugh! Lol. In fact it "dried" with the hardened film of coconut oil so white cakey stuff in my hair. Horrible! Lol. Maybe that's why some people keep their hair covered! :lol: of course THAT was the day we ran into one of my son's doctors that treated him as a baby. He had a hard time not focusing on my hair. It was super embarrassing. So I just held my head up and ignored it, but it's quite humiliating actually to know it always looks bad.
I tried some of the Maui stuff, but it had bamboo rather than the stuff @Beekissed suggested. But I found that something in it left my hair a little too dry before the next washing. I just figured it was the bamboo, but maybe I'll have go back and look at ingredients again. Over time, I've tried vinegar, mayonnaise, coconut oil, baking soda, stuff with mint, rosemary, aloe, tea tree oil, CO.... My hair is past my shoulders but not straight at all. It's very BIG and wavy. When it's shirt, it's even bigger. I remember I spent a lot of money once for a family wedding. The lady was really excited and said she knew just what to do. She put giant curls in it. I almost cried when I saw it, knowing that once again, I'd look silly in the family puctures. Oh, and the look my dad had on his face! Kind of shocked! Lol! It was really really bad. Another time I spent almost $100 (a long time ago!) for another family wedding determined THIS time to look decent. I got a long spiral perm. And the only comment on my hair was "Oh, I thought you must have braided it last night!" :he I determined never to spend that kind of money again on my hair.
I've always had horrible experiences with haircuts, and never know how to ask them to style it. Over the years, I've only met two that cut my hair in a way that really worked with my hair. (well, three, but one cost an absolute fortune, and I'm just not willing to spend that kind of money on hair. I only went that time because my sister pulled me in.) Both of them are 1000 miles away. All my pictures growing up look terrible. it's quite embarrassing actually. My high school graduation picture? One side curled in toward my face, and the other side curled out. :lol: I just figured somehow, my hair was just meant to keep me humble...

I'm always pulling it away from my face, and it gets really hot and heavy. Soooo, I put it in a French braid or a pony tail just to keep it out of my way. I've had bangs most of my life, but I've grown those out. My hair is all different lengths because of the many attempts to "thin" it or layer it to keep it lighter. I'm refusing to touch it with a scissors right now hoping that just the weight will straighten and tame it a little. I've had some gray hair ever since hig h school. Cutting it short only makes it wilder. But keeping it long gets really hot, especially now that I'm back in Alabama.
My friend in WI is a hairdresser loves to play with my hair, but she likes to color it. And I'm not a fan because when you start that, you have to keep going back. I refuse to keep dumping more money down the tube.
Soooo, yeah...

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I thought this might be interesting. I take a multi-vitamin from Terry Naturally. I get very little hair loss. In fact, my complaint is usually "too much hair". But I've tried more and more over the years to look for the causes of my health issues rather than trying to treat the symptoms. Anyway, I thought some might be interested in what Terry says about hair. If the link doesn't go directly to hair, just search for it. I'm not really good on posting links yet...

https://www.terrytalksnutrition.com/search/?query=Hair

@tortoise , Terry is in Wisconsin. I started using his stuff when I lived up there. Now I just have stuff shipped here to the house, or pick it up when I visit.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
More on Silica...
There is a lot out there on the negative impact of inhaling Silica. There seem to be different kinds. But I found this food list for the positive benefits of Silica:
"Cucumber, celery, asparagus, oats, millet, barley, sweet potatoes, leafy greens, beans, leeks, and even strawberries are great sources for silica."

From this article (also trying to sell their supplement. I'm not trying to sell the supplements, just trying to put out the information I'm finding on hair...) https://sunwarrior.com/healthhub/silica-health-benefits-detox-skin-health

Very interesting to me are the studies regarding Silica and Alzheimer's. It seems that silica in some way binds or restricts extra aluminum (for a long time used in deodorants/antiperspirants.) The aluminum is being linked to Alzheimer's, and Silica might help. Silica also seems to help with bone strength and knees, heart health and more... (I just dumped the last half of my very rare, black cherry soda that was in an aluminum can...)

Edited to add this link on biotin: https://draxe.com/biotin-benefits/

And to add this biotin food list from the same article:
Biotin can be found in foods like organ meats,eggs, avocado, cauliflower, berries, fish, legumes and mushrooms.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use Azomite in my garden, it is ancient volcanic rock dust. It has a lot of minerals in it. I also offer it to my sheep, they lick it up. Young lambs especially like it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
interesting about the magnesium; I had heard that grey hair was caused by a boron deficiency. It's probably a whole slew of deficiencies, probably caused by our bodies not being as efficient at extracting those nutrients as we get older, or something like that, lol. I know that on this low carb diet, I have to be careful to get enough magnesium and potassium as apparently I pee more of it out now. I've been using CALM magnesium supplement and so far it seems to be working.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Since this topic has evolved into hair care, I thought I'd add that I cut my own hair tonight. I'm trying curly bangs. They have potential - might be cute! I have to wait for the rest to dry to trim and blend it all together before I share a photo.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll be looking forward to the pucture.

I've cut my own hair with varying degrees of success. I tend to get impatient. I'll be absolutely sure I'm growing it out until one hot and humid day... Lol. Then I've been known to put it in a ponytail, bend over and start chopping...It gets big, I get tired of pulling it away from my face, and I start all over...:lol:

I hope this thread doesn't stop at just hair care...

I was wondering if others have used salt as a scrub for dried skin. Maybe you've already covered this. If so I apologize. (Sometimes my brain works like a seive.) My knees and heels especially get rough. I tried this last week, and it seemed to help a lot.
In Wisconsin, we had hard water and water softeners (salt). Here we have city water. I always notice a big difference in my skin when I go back for a visit. It always feels like I have a film there, but it's softer.