vaccinations?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've chosen to vaccinate my children as recommended. I had a grandparent who lost a sibling to diptheria and so it was always an issue in our family...grandma would be afraid everyone had the "whooping cough" whenever we coughed and we could assure her we'd all had our vaccine.

When my oldest (who is a grown up) was a baby I discussed my fears about vaccines with her doctor. He was an old gent, and spent about a half an hour telling me how grateful he was to God that he had been given the wonderful gift of having the ability to prevent those horrible illnesses that used to kill so many children when he began his practice. He said yes, there were dangers from vaccines, just like there are dangers from driving in a car to the doctor's office. But you are picking the lesser of two risks. And the more people who don't vaccinate, especially if they cluster together, the more likely they are to have an outbreak of the diseases that we can now prevent.

I also know a person whose mother chose not to vaccinate him against polio. Unfortunately, he contracted it. He is about 35 and already permanently disabled. He sure does not think his mom was very smart. He is pretty darned unhappy with the choice his mom made.

Just food for thought. I also support anyone's right to NOT vaccinate their child if they so choose and should not be required by the school. But sometimes being a parent is about choosing the lesser of two evils, even if your child won't be happy about it.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I've chosen to vaccinate my children as recommended. I had a grandparent who lost a sibling to diptheria and so it was always an issue in our family...grandma would be afraid everyone had the "whooping cough" whenever we coughed and we could assure her we'd all had our vaccine.

When my oldest (who is a grown up) was a baby I discussed my fears about vaccines with her doctor. He was an old gent, and spent about a half an hour telling me how grateful he was to God that he had been given the wonderful gift of having the ability to prevent those horrible illnesses that used to kill so many children when he began his practice. He said yes, there were dangers from vaccines, just like there are dangers from driving in a car to the doctor's office. But you are picking the lesser of two risks. And the more people who don't vaccinate, especially if they cluster together, the more likely they are to have an outbreak of the diseases that we can now prevent.

I also know a person whose mother chose not to vaccinate him against polio. Unfortunately, he contracted it. He is about 35 and already permanently disabled. He sure does not think his mom was very smart. He is pretty darned unhappy with the choice his mom made.

Just food for thought. I also support anyone's right to NOT vaccinate their child if they so choose and should not be required by the school. But sometimes being a parent is about choosing the lesser of two evils, even if your child won't be happy about it.
First off, how do folks who haven't had shots cause outbreaks in those who have had them? Are these vaccines working or not?
Does the invention of soap and washing hands have anything to do with the decline in disease?

Second, there have been no naturally aquired cases of polio in the united states since I think 1971, your 35 year old friend probably got polio from the vaccine, perhaps a friend that had just received the shot and passed it on. I'm not sure how a person can blame a parent for that one - blame the pharm company!

Muscular paralysis has been estimated to occure in one out of every 1000 people who contract polio (physicians desk ref 55th edition page 778)
Prior to 1955 Polio , aseptic meningitis, coxsackie irus were all recorded as polio. After 1955 they were recorded separatly - hence the decline in polio cases due to the medical definition.

During a five year period, 13641 adverse events followed the oral polio vaccine, of these 6364 ER visits, and 540 deaths. Public outrage prompted the removal of the oral vaccine from the schedule.

In Vaccine insert itself warns of serious problems or even death. The vaccine maker warns that Guillain Barre syndrome has been related to administration of an inactivated poliovirus vaccine.
(although they do also state "no causal relationship has been established) It does admit that "deaths have occurred" in infants after IPV.
And as someone mentioned earlier - look up the SV40 virus, first discovered 1959 by Bernice Eddy. In 1960 Dr Ben Sweet and M.R Hilleman of Merck found all types of polio vaccine to contain SV40 and noted the possibility that it might cause cancer "especially when administered to human babies"
("the Vacuolating Virus SV-40 as cited in "the Polio vaccine and simian virus 40" by moriarty )
("Scientists polio fear Unheeded" how us researchers warning was silenced" the houston post 1992)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Never said not vaccinating your child causes outbreaks. Said that the cases of outbreak can cluster around groups of people who do not vaccinate their children.
I have never asked my friend's age, he is perhaps not exactly 35. Asking his age so I could later argue he had a true case of polio wasn't on my life plan. I'm not in this to argue. I just stated my reasons for making my choices as food for thought as I saw my viewpoint had not been represented.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay people, I don't want to start a fight. I'm happy to hear from BOTH sides, that's why I asked the question. I was thinking of doing the biggies like MMR and polio. Later on they will have a tetanus shot. I just don't understand why on god's green earth they are now giving hepatitis shots and chicken pox vaccines to kids. I can understand doing hepatitis in teens but a 2 yr old?

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Okay people, I don't want to start a fight. I'm happy to hear from BOTH sides, that's why I asked the question. I was thinking of doing the biggies like MMR and polio. Later on they will have a tetanus shot. I just don't understand why on god's green earth they are now giving hepatitis shots and chicken pox vaccines to kids. I can understand doing hepatitis in teens but a 2 yr old?
I was careful 16 years ago when I was deciding which vaccines to allow and which ones NOT to allow. We opted out for a few, like chicken pox. Even though I was sure I was glad for that, I've decided NOW that I should've had her vaccinated.

Back then I thought... this is ridiculous... a simple RECOVERABLE mildly annoying childhood disease... she SHOULD have antibodies to fight it and natural ones at that. Not to mention, that you have to keep getting a booster as an adult to keep up your immunity! I INVITED the pox. Finally when she was around 8 she got the pox... and so did I.. in my late 20s. This is because I never got my booster as an adult.

THEN... just last year, I got SHINGLES.
Do you know what that is? It's the chicken pox virus... laying dormant in my body, concentrating on a small area of nerve endings just waiting... waiting like a violent offender for a weak moment in my body. Stress is the number one trigger for Shingles... and you can only get the shingles if you've had the chicken pox.

Shingles are AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. The WORST thing ever.. and it because I flared up once, it's ALWAYS LURKING. It caused me debilitating back spasms, stomach pain and put me in bed unable to even lay there without pain.

If I were to ever have another child... which I won't because I'm almost done now with this one... I would ABSOLUTELY do the chicken pox vaccine.

If I were doing everything over again... I would simply require that instead of skipping vaccines.. that we re-organize NON ESSENTIAL vaccines LIKE chicken pox, on down the time scale and give them a little later in life... before attending or being exposed to school for instance...

instead of packing all the vaccines into 18 months or so.. leave those that can wait until age 2, 3 & 4.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Now with chicken pox, I'd actually try to get my child to contract it while small and only vaccinate if they ended up being older without getting it.
My husband had chicken pox as an adult and that is no fun. He insists his skin has never been the same since then either, and he was really ill for three weeks.
However two of my kids were sick at the same time, it seemed like a totally different virus in them, nothing to it.
With my third, I was happy when he got chicken pox at around 5. Unfortunately, it was on halloween! Oh well. Better than what my hubby went through.

I'm glad to hear you want to hear all opinions. I think that as parents that is all we can do, make the most educated choices we can for our children. I don't think vaccines are without risk or perfect, I just think they are the lesser of two evils.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I can understand doing hepatitis in teens but a 2 yr old?
Just read about the hep b :D

They stopped doing the hep b if the parents didn't have it, but so many nurses and doctors and patients were scared by the hype that they had a lot of babies whose parents DID have hep b NOT get vaccinated that there were a lot of deaths.

So they dropped the whole thing, figuring an extra vaccine was safer than the deaths LOL.

If you have a rational decision that results in not vaccinating, that is fine. I just do agree with schools not allowing you in. Home school is an easy enough option.

*snigger* My parents never had records of my vaccines. I had to have the MMR redone in high school. No one was sure if and when I'd had it.

ETA: here's the guy who started the stupid autism vaccine lies .

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I never had any shots, nor my mom. I missed work from illness once in four years. I've done lots of research on the topic, and nothing I've ever read has changed my mind. I wrote a paper on it in college, and my editor was a nurse. When she gave my paper back, she said that she fully agreed, and even said the her kids only had certain vaccinations. I went to a nature path, instead of a normal doctor, except twice and guess what? Those two times the doctor had NO idea what I had, and wanted to push antibiotics "in case."

Here's a fun quote. "According to a National Academy Institute of Medicine study, each year more people die from medical errors than from motor vehicle accidents (43,458), breast cancer (42,297) and AIDS (16,516)." http://www.oshmanlaw.com/medicalmalpractice.html If parents do decide to give shots, the kids should not be sick at the time. Also, I'm sure that some doctors are good decent people, just trying to help. I respect those doctors. My nature path is the sweetest, most knowledgeable guy ever!

I once read a report of a private boarding school having an outbreak of measles. 100% of the students and faculty were vaccinated.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'm so surprised by the number of folks here who believe in vaccines and get them all.
It amazes me! :ep

So many of you guys are so careful about what you eat, about what chemicals you use in your homes, and yet you don't look to see whats in that vaccine, and then say "oh its only a tiny bit of formaldahyde" "only a tiny bit of mercury... Only a little tad touch of aborted fetal cells..

You won't use harsh chemicals to clean your bath tub or buy seeds to plant with pesticides etc. and yet what is IN that vaccine?

These things are being injected into you and your children.

Very similar to the whole Monsanto thing, as you have to keep going back to buy seeds and ruin the land you're using for those seeds. Whats going on with childrens little tiny bodies?

For those religious folk, did God make a mistake when he created your child, and your childs immune system - did he mess up?

You won't let your child have a Happy Meal, but you'll let a doctor shoot a virus straight into their blood stream, along with a dash of formaldahyde. You won't cook with an alluminum pot - but a dash of alluminum in a vaccine is ok?

WOW