Weather Forecast--WHAT THE????

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Has anyone used a gas stove/oven in your kitchen for heat during a power failure. Just wondering how safe it is. Should you leave the door open or will that cause the flame to go out. I would be afraid to go to sleep in that situation. Maybe the cat would catch himself on fire and light the curtains up.
My Mom used to to this when we were kids. I just read in Mother Earth News how dangerous this really was. I think it creates a major health hazard. Something about the Co2.

:idunno

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we just got in - no hurry to get out there in the weather but wow! it was kinda fun!

it snowed all nite but we didnt get a huge accumulation.

NONE of the critters (except my one crazy little hen, Imp) wants to be outside. even the geese said forgettaboutit and went back in. the turkeys werent buying it for a minute either.

our poor medium ducks had it the worst. i booted them out of the duck garage so Dash and her babies could be inside (closed them in). i figured the medium ducks would just go out and duck around.

nope.

they had a duck breakdown and sulked miserably. so we fixed up a 'day coop' for them in the duck yard and now they were happy.

one of the knocked up goaties ran outside for a few mins but one for a second. now everyone is back inside.

i think DrakeMaiden said something about gingerbread pancakes?? so thats what i'm makin for brunch. whoot!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Big Daddy - dont bother with the inside range... just fire up the gas grill OUTSIDE and you'll be in business. one of our favorite memories was making bacon and eggs in a skillet on the gas grill in the snow.

:)

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are currently at 13" an hour NW of D.C. I'm sure we are looking at another 10" this afternoon. The D.C. metro area is under a blizzard warning. I don't remember that happening very often.

Went out this morning to water and feed the birds. I guess I better check on their water soon before it gets any worse.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
They've upped our forecast once again, 8-16" and they've issued a blizzard warning. Hunkering down for lots of snow!

ETA they've upped it yet again. 15-20" here, and now the north country is going to get it, 8-12" up at the Lebanon ranch. Wow, this is quite a storm!
good plowing for hubby! :)

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FC I like your new holiday avatar.

So are you tromping around outside taking care of things this morning?

In how many inches of snow?

We were going to have a bonfire with the furniture that no one wants even for free (yes, I sure do have fine things), but it's still snowing. I am bummed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just got back from the farm.

Tony and his Dad fed and watered the hogs, we took a couple round bales to the cows and the heifters, handled the chickens.....I pulled nicole around on the sled and sent her down the pasture hill....but too much grass sticking out.

we got sleet mostly over the snow. icy but it compacted our snow and everything is melting and SLOP is coming.

I fed the goats early...gotta hit them with more hay later. they hate ice walking and ain't going out in that pasture..lol

Side roads not good and Tony just had to do circles and 4 wheeling int he pastures.

had to handle a few hoses that froze up I forgot to dry out last night. ugh dumb me.

we checked the deer corn and walked the creek to see tracks and see the trails better they are using etc.

so back home to eat...haven't eaten yet and we are hungry.

bonfire...COOL---in the snow--even better!

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Will it burn, FC? We will gladly drag the stuff out there if it will burn in the falling snow.

I was afraid it would be like trying to do it in the rain.

We have a bunch of chestnuts in the freezer that I got from my CSA. Hmm, bonfire, chestnuts...

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We've got around 18 inches here and its still coming down like crazy....supposed to all day here. We'll end up with 2 feet at this rate. This is ridiculous! :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Has anyone used a gas stove/oven in your kitchen for heat during a power failure. Just wondering how safe it is. Should you leave the door open or will that cause the flame to go out. I would be afraid to go to sleep in that situation. Maybe the cat would catch himself on fire and light the curtains up.
I did this years ago in college when gas was so cheap. I had an all electric apt. but it did have a gas stove/oven. I was so broke I couldn't afford to pay high electricty bills. My dad told me it was fine as long as I kept the window cracked just a tiny bit. I'm no expert, but I lived to tell about it. (I also grew up in a home with all gas heaters too.)

My cat (who loved to walk all over the counters) jumped onto the stove and all his wiskers curled into cork screws from the heat. He looked like a wizzard cat. I don't think he jumped onto the counters again after that. (He wasn't hurt...just had curled wiskers.)

Hope everyone stays warm!!

Latest posts