Weather Forecast--WHAT THE????

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi there!
Virtually everywhere in the UK has had some snow already. I'm in the south, not far from Oxford & we woke up yesterday morning to about 4" of white-stuff. The temperature never rose higher than -3*C yesterday & now at 5.45am UK time it is -7*C. It is still very dark so I can't see if more snow has fallen.
The UK falls apart when there is snow & ice. Yesterday most of the schools were either closed or the kids didn't turn up for their last day before Christmas holidays started!! I know a whole lot of adults could not get to work because public transport wasn't running. Lot's of road accidents too ----TOTAL CHAOS.
There are a lot of weather warnings out for more snow all through this weekend. It is VERY UNUSUAL for us to get snow before Christmas. Last winter we had it in January & February -- It was our worst winter in 19 years....!! It will be interesting to see how this one rates! :rolleyes:

So far all my chickens are fine but the younger ones were a bit startled when they caught their first sight of the white stuff. I had to keep a supply of fresh water going of course.

Keep safe & warm & Happy Holidays everyone. :ya

PS. I have just heard on the BBC TV news that 4 trains full of passengers (about 2000 people) are stuck in the Channel Tunnel, because the trains broke down : [I'm not sure if you will be able to access this link. Sorry if it doesn't work! ].

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8421875.stm

Hattie

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
You know, if this were a movie, he would be standing by a window, gazing out at the snow drifts, a tear in his eye, when a portly bearded man would strike up a conversation with him. One thing would lead to another, and the older man would know just what to say, would touch his heart and give him hope, then mysteriosly disappear. Cut to a shot of the moon, and the silhouette of a flying sleigh crosses it, as we hear a hearty Ho Ho Ho.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :gig

Wait....wait! :lol: Even better~the older gent offers to give him a lift and he is last seen gazing out in wonder from the sleigh, as the earth slides by beneath him...... :gig

OR~he meets a lovely young lady who is also stranded, strikes up a conversation, they leave a lasting impression upon each other, exchange addresses and digits and proceed to keep in touch for many years while slowly falling in love, but finally lose touch.... until some years later they are accidentally, but fortuitously, re-united and realize they had fallen in love that dark and deep December night as two road-weary travelers, and that no one else has ever affected them as much as that chance meeting at the Greyhound bus station....... :pop

The scene ends as they have a wedding in a bus station and drive off in a Greyhound with "Just Married" written in the dust of the back window...... :lol:

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hey Lori do you plan on getting some type of alternate heat source eventually? just wondering

when I lost power for (I think 5, maybe 6 days years ago) the house was so cold to the core. I had to leave and stay at moms....it took about 2 days to warm the mattress back up...LOL

I got my propane fireplace now and honestly I don't know how I lived without it....power goes out the house stays soooooo warm and that makes me smile big time.
Isn't that what elecric blankets are for? You warm up the bed for a couple hours, turn it off and climb in.

Or get a couple big furry dogs.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Or a hybrid of the two, and they take off in the sleigh with Santa Claus, where we find out that her name is "Virginia".

I think there is a Christmas miracle at that bus station tonight.....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:gig :gig :lol: Good one, Ldy!!! :lol:

Or~ Eli is gazing sadly out the window, sees a man fall off the station roof, explores the incident and finds a Santa suit lying on the ground next to a sleigh.....he puts on the suit like the card suggests.....and I get anything I want for Christmas for the rest of my life! :D :fl :celebrate

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All around me got alot of snow.....we got about 5 inches but on top of that is frozen ice....so it is compacted down. Boone got 16 inches...not too far from me. Glad it was them and NOT me...LOL

Second roads not good, main roads starting to get better ---Tony thinking of going to the market but I said NOPE....we are relaxing today and taking Nicole out to play in the snow before it is gone and SLOP comes..lol

no power out, love that !!

How did ya'll fair.

well out to give hay to the goats and more.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
They've upped our forecast once again, 8-16" and they've issued a blizzard warning. Hunkering down for lots of snow!

ETA they've upped it yet again. 15-20" here, and now the north country is going to get it, 8-12" up at the Lebanon ranch. Wow, this is quite a storm!

Reaction score
Has anyone used a gas stove/oven in your kitchen for heat during a power failure. Just wondering how safe it is. Should you leave the door open or will that cause the flame to go out. I would be afraid to go to sleep in that situation. Maybe the cat would catch himself on fire and light the curtains up.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee I am glad to hear your safe at home. Everything happens for a reason. Traveling in the daylight will be much better. I like the second story where you son gets to meet the future love of his life. :love

Ldychef2k you have such a wonderful imagination.

Hattie --good to see you again. Stay warm, we will have to keep an eye on you too now.
The tunnel story really just reinforces being "sufficient for your self". When traveling you should always take water, protein bars and be properly dressed. They potty issues those people dealt with is obviously a design flaw with the train. I would have hated to be in their shoes.

Be safe everyone!!!

gina