Welcome to the MeSSy Kitchen Club! Are you a member?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
No actually the camper is easy. I love it. There's no room to be messy.

G
Our camper kitchen could prove you sooooo wrong but I'll be nice and not embarrass myself by posting a picture of our meSSy camper kitchen! :gig It comes with a small microwave that takes up all the counter space with room to make a cup of coffee thanks to the coffee maker that sits on top of said microwave!

Doc and I made a 5 gallon batch of watermelon wine of Sunday and would have been in trouble if it wasn't for out trusty livingroom/kitchen table! :gig It used to be twice the size of our kitchen counter but my monitor takes up atleast a third of it. Don't mind giving up that bit of the table as it's nice have the internet again! :cool:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I have every intention of having a picture on the Real Food Kitchen Tour that shows what my kitchen normally looks like.
Its not pretty.
Cook Real food? Then be prepared to drown in pots, pans and dishes. This is the real life :lol:

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
We have the small freezer over the fridge. No big freezers though. Our ancestors didn't have freezers, and I've seen what happens when the power goes out for those who do. So, one of my goals is to figure out a way to do without them. :)
After losing everything in my freezer at the cabin (including produce from the garden :hit ) I'm leery of depending on it again. I know I won't be packing it full of stuff from the garden again.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
meat is the tough one.

I too have lost a few loads of meat in my freezers. drives me nutso.

but for the few loses, I still gain way more with my freezer! :)

Then I decided to be sure the pantry is stocked with more edibles, because if I lose the frozen stuff for any reason....I have backup food and tons of it lol

no way I could give up my freezer ever. Just too good of an item to have working for you.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dawn, we lived in a Terry trailer while building our house. I know how great the table can be. Prep work, dishes it all went on th table. Now we have a 2007 toy hauler. They have really started thinking these things through. Microwave above the stove, etc. But I must admit I dont do much of anything inside when camping. I use my tripod and dutch oven outside as much as I can.

I must admit I have 2 freezes. I always figure if there is an extended power outage I could go on a canning marathon. I guess that probably wouldn't work.

I have a wonderful picture of my kitchen clean. :p we had an insurance company coming in to take pics. I cleaned for days. Then I took a picture to remember it by. :lol:

G

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My freezers are in a cool part of my basement and we tend to at least visit them daily. In the past we have actually lost power on a couple of occasions once for 7 days and once for 10 days - without losing any food in them. After the first few days of power outage I was harvesting ice from our house and garage roofs loading it into doubled trash bags and placing the ice on top of the food, like a big ice chest. :cool:

Still I have lived through my grandparents losing a freezer full of meat and know how hard that can be.

If you are worried about your freezer I would recommend one of these being on your next shopping list. Freezer Alarm. I have been meaning to buy a couple of these myself. :thumbsup

LittleRoosterCroft

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well this is fun...have enjoyed reading them so far.

I am LittleRoosterCroft. I definitely belong to the MeSSy Kitchen Club.

My favorite kitchen tools are my trusty knife, my new cast iron dutch oven and frying pan (just starting cooking with them and will never go back to "non stick") and right now my apple slicer/corer/peeler!

My most helpful appliance is my food processor

My most shameful habit is to have way to many things going at once and a cluttered counter space

My best kitchen cleaning tip is to clean as I go but I definitely don't always follow that.

My perfect kitchen would have LOTS more counters, real good counter tops, a walk in pantry and not be in the middle of the house where everything gets deposited on the way in!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am Colowyo. I belong to the MeSSy Kitchen Club.

My favorite kitchen tool is My crock pot and my roaster. With these two items I don't need the stove/oven/microwave. Just good planning.

My most helpful appliance is my food processor. It's a cheapy but a goody. It mashes potatoes, it purees pumpkin, it slices cucumber, it shreds zuchinni, it does it all!

My most shameful habit is my tendency to leave the dishes until the next day to wash. I keep hoping the dogs will earn their keep :rolleyes:

My best kitchen cleaning tip is to keep at least one basin in the sink full of hot soapy water. This way you can wash and soak as you go, making for easier cleanup. However, I just thought of this as I was filling this out so will let you know how this works :D This does work! It cut my cleaning time down quite a bit! No chocolate to dry to the pans, or anything! :woot

My perfect kitchen would include two wall mounted ovens, gas stove top. A two basin commercial sink, porcelain. Large counters, with a large dish drying area. No dishwasher ( I can use that space to store more jars!!). An island with a decent counter space and a small rinsing sink for veggies and such. Large windows that face both east and west, catch the sunrise and sunset, and use the windows to help the bread dough raise and the herbs to grow. One of those heavy wooden country tables( because we don't do fancy formal here) with matching chairs. Room in the corner for several large dogs to lay and be comfortable. A Kickdonkey music system so I can listen to Bach and Lady Gaga and ABBA and Enya while cooking, baking, sewing, snapping, etc. A small corner table with a towel rack so I can clean my hands while checking online recipes. A bakers rake and one of those hanging potholders. hooks on the walls for my cooking spoons, spatulas, wisks, etc. A lovely wooden bookcase that has no back and separates the kitchen from the living room area, filled with recipe and garden and livestock and knitting and sewing and building books. Sky lights that have shades and recessed lighting in the ceiling. Track lighting for when I need specific light. A upright cooling unit for both cool and frozen items. Upright drawers, the kind that are like wall sized and have shelves :D :drool :drool :drool :drool I want this kitchen now!!

*sigh* now I need to sit down with paper and pencil and start diagramming my kitchen for the future house.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Matthew, tell us how you really feel. :p

By the way don't give up dishwasher space for jars. When you get hooked on collecting them the space will never be big enough. I have 3, 2 x 4 x 6 foot solves full. :hide

By the way I love your vision for a kitchen. Except for the western window. My house has a west facing kitchen. It bites.

G

Latest posts