WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woot! I canned dilly beans and banana peppers on Saturday. I opened a can of beans for supper and even the kids liked them! DH didn't know what to think about them. His mind was confused because he's only ever had green beans hot.
Haven't tried the peppers yet. If they are mushy I won't do any more. This was a test batch and I will open a jar in a couple days.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I have 5 qts of tomato sauce in the bath right now.

I lost 1 1/2 qts. of my blackberries. :( Both were unsealed. The 1/2 qt. jar had a small chip on the neck rim. I don't know what happened to the qt. jar.

Edited to add: I actually had 6 qts.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Had extra tomatoes from freecycle, so added basil from the garden, red onion, garlic, salt and a little balsalmic vinegar to make a bruschetta type of canned tomato.

Making barley, veggie, beef soup later.

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anybody have a recipe for Canning Chicken Salad? My fiance had some today that his boss's wife made and he said it was great. Planning on ordering a regulator valve for my Pressure canner soon and I want to make this.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
jenlyn9483 said:
Does anybody have a recipe for Canning Chicken Salad? My fiance had some today that his boss's wife made and he said it was great. Planning on ordering a regulator valve for my Pressure canner soon and I want to make this.
I do not think that is something you would want to do, it would cook the mayo. I would think if you could it would be commercially available and I have never seen it. Maybe someone else has a better answer.

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is a baffling to me also. Im going to get the 411 on it and see whats up.

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My grandfather used to make an awesome Spicy Cabbage Relish when I was very young and he has been gone for a long time and nobody remembers the recipe. Does anybody have a good water bath recipe for t his?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today was busy, yet productive....I picked my FIRST green beans this morning...and canned 5 pints! Then my stepdad called, said to meet him at the farmers market. He gets vouchers for the market, and will not be able to use them all. So, I got 39 ears of corn...plus 5 I already had.. I canned 17 pints of corn today. :th

99_28julycanning.jpg

The pickled beets I have been putting up one or 2 pints at a time, because of this lousy weather. :/ At least I have 8 pints so far. Not nearly enough...so tomorrow I am replanting beets, for a fall crop.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Today I canned 12 pints of vegetable beef/barley soup. The best part was that I introduced my granddaughter to canning. She also learned how to bake bread today. She's 13. The next one will be 10 on Friday, and prefers life in her imagination. These days, she is the heroine Rose from the movie Titanic.

The tomatoes I canned the other day with the fresh basil, garlic and onions ended up cooking down to half a jar each. I couldn't see wasting storage space on half full jars, so I opened them all, straied and saved the juice for my next batch of spaghetti sauce, and spread the solids around on a Silpat sheet on a cookie sheet in the oven to make bruschetta leather !