WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bet a produce auction would be fun. Never been to one, all that's around here is farmers markets.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I would love going to a produce auction! Sounds fun!!

I canned 10 pints of carrot sticks and 4 pints of blueberry-basil vinegar. The vinegar is for xmas gifts, maybe save one to enter in the fair because it's such a pretty color.

I haven't started the pickles yet. I don't wanna. I've never made good pickles. Seems like such a waste of effort and resources to ruin more cucumbers and look at them on a shelf for a year before dumping them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was feeling bad posting to this thread and not really canning anything. So with my wife's guidance I canned all my fermented pickles start to finish today. I even cleaned up after myself :)

Here is 7 - 1/2 gallon of fermented hot pickles, I added two habeneros fresh picked from the garden to each jar. My wife said it was ok to do that. And also 3 - 1/2 gallons non hot pickles on the right.
IMG_20170813_184606255_TOP.jpg

Here's the last 3 - 1/2 gallon non hot in the water bather.
IMG_20170813_185742380.jpg

Two of my daughter in laws and one of my daughter's we're here when I busted open the 5 gallon bucket of non hot pickles. After a taste test and a bunch of yacking from the pickle experts... My wife daughter and two daughter in laws eat a 1/2 gallon, before I could get them out of the brine. They said they we're perfectly sour and really crunchy. They really did turn out good. That's why I canned 7 1/2 gallons of hot and 6 1/2 gallons of non hot :)

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I canned 10 more pints of carrots. Done with carrots for this year.

I may have given up on pickles. And gave a big bag of cucumbers to my MIL today. I don't like cucumbers or pickles and DH hasn't liked any of the 5 pickle recipes I've tried, so..... why bother?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I canned 10 more pints of carrots. Done with carrots for this year.

I may have given up on pickles. And gave a big bag of cucumbers to my MIL today. I don't like cucumbers or pickles and DH hasn't liked any of the 5 pickle recipes I've tried, so..... why bother?

Have you tried fermented pickles? They are the Old School way fermented until sour under salt water brine. Add garlic, dill, yellow mustard seed and if fermenting in a 5 gallon food grade bucket then add cherry or oak or grape leaves to keep them crunchy. Their really good done this way.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got busy yesterday and canned some of the milk glut. I have 16 pints of canned milk now. This morning I decided I should actually try it before I can anymore. Ya wouldn't want to drink it straight - but it's just fine in coffee. That's what I mainly use it for anyway - I don't drink too much milk. It would be just fine for cooking too - so I'll probably put up a few pints each weekend until I stop milking.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
not canning BUT did prep & freeze corn. Cut some off cob & stewed to freeze. Breaded and fried eggplant to freeze for later use in eggplant parm. Love that stuff! Had some of the fried slices for dinner with ranch dressing. TASTY! Oh, sliced/diced green peppers - now in freezer, some for stuffing tomorrow and some in dehydrator...sliced & will partially dry then freeze. Hoping to help maintain some structure when used after freezing, instead of mush.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ive been slicing or shredding and freezing squash for use in soups, breads, and patties this winter. Mom always uses the frozen sliced squash in spagetti sauce. Mostly dissolves but adds flavor and nutrition.

Latest posts