WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
k
I wondered if it was so clean because you used that special "Dark Horse" stove top cleaner!! :)

:lol: so funny, when I posted that pic I ACTUALLY thought that you would notice that. Glad I didn't include a pic of the other 14 bottles sitting near the dining room table!! It's leftovers from demos. Red is not my fav but, some are dry enough to sip -- really good for cooking & sharing though. Wish you lived close!

That is a decent Cabernet Sauvignon...as are the Mondavi & Josh sitting to the right of that one. Getting ready to do a drunk roast pretty soon. :cool: Wine adds a surprisingly nice flavor to the red meats, also mushrooms & onions sauté for steaks. YUM!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mm I have some venison in the freezer I have been meaning to cook soon. Have a red wine recipe somewhere...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just dump it in:p --- helps tenderize, also. All the alcohol cooks off but adds some sweetness, not sugary.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tenderizing venison is a good thing! Don't have any wine in the house, I obviously can't drink it at the moment and DH hates wine. But I might have to get some just for this!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: so funny, when I posted that pic I ACTUALLY thought that you would notice that. Glad I didn't include a pic of the other 14 bottles sitting near the dining room table!! It's leftovers from demos. Red is not my fav but, some are dry enough to sip -- really good for cooking & sharing though. Wish you lived close!

That is a decent Cabernet Sauvignon...as are the Mondavi & Josh sitting to the right of that one. Getting ready to do a drunk roast pretty soon. :cool: Wine adds a surprisingly nice flavor to the red meats, also mushrooms & onions sauté for steaks. YUM!!

Ha, ha! It did catch my eye, lol! I don't think I've had that one. I do enjoy a nice cab. Agree on Mondavi - one of my 'go to' every day wines. Also enjoy Carnivore. Big fav is J.Lohr.... more spendy but worth it! Someday I might get out that direction and would love to share a bottle of wine with ya!

Tenderizing venison is a good thing! Don't have any wine in the house, I obviously can't drink it at the moment and DH hates wine. But I might have to get some just for this!

Red meat and red wine go together so well! Adds a depth of flavor that ya just can't get anywhere else! YUM.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not a big wine drinker but I do like it for flavor in sauces. My family loves it when I make a red sauce with wine. Like Mini Horses says it adds a depth of flavor that can't be beat.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Going to can some sweet corn tomorrow and also some fire jam, if time allows. Hope to can more corn next week if need be.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, the annual sorting out of the canned goods, eliminating the old or those that will never be used, to free up the jars. Such a ritual!

We don't have a cellar here so have to rely on limited shelf space in our pantry, making the choosing of what stays, what goes and what we will can a streamlined affair. Now that it's just Mom and I, we don't have to can the volume we once did but I still like to fill the shelves if and when I'm able.

I'm taking this time to clean out and organize the pantry, which I was supposed to have done already~two job lists ago~but never completed. Tomorrow, as I continue canning corn and start on the fire jam, I'll take the opportunity provided by being confined to the house by the canner and get that job done...finally.

Our pantry is a combination pantry, storage and tool room, so this could take some time. o_O