WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I think canning food, like everything else, should always be done properly and carefully and you'll be fine. I ate a lot of home canned goods in my life and never got sick, but I did get very sick twice from store bought food (mayonnaise and a milky drink to be exact). I was raised to be careful with meat, always, always, not just with canning, with storing it, preparing it, leftovers. It just makes sense.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I neeeed to get back to canning! With mom/dad here I don't get many extra's taken care of. I would like to get some more beans and other quick meals canned up. I love the convenience!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm with Ya Beekissed. I do NOT disregard the possibility but, most often when canned the foods were not eaten for a period of time -- it was for "later", after all. In that time lids were always, always checked. Meats being the most concern, that was cooked longer, as pointed out. Raw milk?? Yep!! I drink it now & am careful with cleaning udders, containers, fast chill, etc.

IMO, the risk is in the chemicals and unsanitary issues from overcrowding in the commercial businesses. How many cases of autism, ADHD, diabetes, blood pressure, altzhimers, overweight issues, early puberty, and on and on -- were there years back?? I acknowledge science has come a long way to diagnose what may have existed then -- just not ever in these numbers. GMO plays a factor -- don't care what they say -- it is proven the food is NOT as nutritious as it once was in may of these items. We all have our own way of life -- all good.

This is where I deal with things and I have NO issues with those who work differently and do not "down" them for the extra effort. Hey, I don't smoke but, if you want to -- OK -- just not in my house, car or blow smoke at me, LOL, I don't like the smell. It's like "do you like vanilla or chocolate".......both are fine.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everyone has to make their own decisions about what is safe for themselves and their families. I am also very careful about proper milk handling procedures but I feel safer pasteurizing nonetheless. I will follow USDA recommendations for canning. Not because I'm unconvinced that the alternatives are unsafe, but because I prefer to use an abundance of caution with kids in the house. I also don't eat rare meat and probably overcook most of my meats, lol. Just the way I am!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sure - folks have the right to make an informed decision. But, if the novice sees "on the internet" that it's OK to not pressure can meats therein lies the problem.

I prefer chocolate, thank ya very much, lol!!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think that's where we differ, Bee. I tend not to want to be responsible for someone doing something harmful to themselves. If that doesn't bother you that's on your conscience. Take that or leave it, as with all things given freely. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Again, that's where we differ. You carry on giving that advice, and I'll carry on pointing out that it just might not be ok. :) Good to give people a choice, dontcha think? Seems I remember you mentioning that you now have a pressure canner - I think that's awesome!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I think you two are going to have to agree to disagree. Over chocolate if you wish :) As was said in the last few posts, to each their own, we all need to decide and figure out what method works for us and what we prefer and feel is safe. There are different methods of canning produce and each I'm sure has hazards, so need some research beforehand. I personally like to listen to everyone's opinions and follow those with experience, combined with common sense and good practices when it comes to safety with all food, not just canned goods.

Is anyone canning anything at the moment, or are the crops all in and processed now?