WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have this Carey electric pressure canner/cooker that my hubby got me years ago from the local farm store. I love it! Very convenient and it is also a crock pot/browner too! I can fit 5 pint jars or 4 quart jars in it at a time, which works for my smaller batches of stuff I can

Attachments

• s-l300.png
    s-l300.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 78

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have read that the electric pressure canners have not been approved by the Nation Center for Home Food Preservation to use the USDA pressure canner recipes as they were formulated for stove top pressure canners. I believe I also read an article supporting the same from the Extension office in Utah regarding a trial/testing period that the University of Utah did.

I use a traditional stove top pressure canner, mainly for veggies like corn and beans.

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have read that the electric pressure canners have not been approved by the Nation Center for Home Food Preservation to use the USDA pressure canner recipes as they were formulated for stove top pressure canners. I believe I also read an article supporting the same from the Extension office in Utah regarding a trial/testing period that the University of Utah did.

I use a traditional stove top pressure canner, mainly for veggies like corn and beans.
I would be interested to read those articles. Do you have links? If the electric canners get up to and maintain the same PSI, how would they not be safe?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would be interested to read those articles. Do you have links? If the electric canners get up to and maintain the same PSI, how would they not be safe?
Sure! Here are a few that I found. From what I have found most (not sure if all I haven't researched all of them) pressure canners are also pressure cookers, which seems to be the concern.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

The Presto digital pressure canner is currently the only one that is safe. I was happy to pay much more and wait for months to get it because of this.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Presto digital pressure canner is currently the only one that is safe. I was happy to pay much more and wait for months to get it because of this.

awesome thank you!!! I am adding it to my list. I would love to try this over my on the stove pressure canner

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sure! Here are a few that I found. From what I have found most (not sure if all I haven't researched all of them) pressure canners are also pressure cookers, which seems to be the concern.

I will have to look at these links when I get a chance. When I was buying my GoWISE multi cooker, I read a lot, and it sounded like as long as it is large enough to hold 4 quart jars, then it should be safe to use. Because anything smaller than that changes the amount of time that the tested recipes require. The GoWISE holds four quart jars. But to tell the truth, I have not pressure canned anything in it yet because I’m new to canning and still a little bit afraid of pressure canning.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think the issue has more to do with the pressuring down times that stovetop pressure canners go through. Those times are taken into account. I don't know how the electric ones work on that, but I know an idiot who uses a pressure cooker for canning so they can avoid the depressuring time.