WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My newest daughter in law brought me this jar of elderberry jam made from elderberries we picked late summer here on the farm. It's kind of funny how those elderberries made it all the way to Texas. To be made into elderberry jam by her grandmother, then back to southern IL again. I haven't tried any yet but it looks good shining a light through it and it set up good also. I guess I get a new pint size mug when we finish it off, what a nice gift 👍
IMG_20220124_230212878.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Going through lids and jars today. Now that I am a season I to using the Pur Brand lids, I have to say they did well in the water bath but not a good choice for the pressure canner, seal rate was not great.

So far only had 2 jars of tomatoes break seal from those brands. Anyone else ha e issues?

Might just use for refrigerator pickling and freezer jars.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have only seen them in one store...noticed more because odd brand. Good to know your experience. Its that time when we watch for these items. The little feed store said they had a hard time getting any of any brand!

I was counting my lids just yesterday....in case. :lol: I have 14 dz each size, which is enough for me for this season. Plus a few from not full boxes that have accumulated. But I'll buy more. There's always next year. 😁 I'm loaded with freezer bags for the vacuum sealer. Plenty of containers for freezing or dehydrated stuff.

Thinking I'm ok to preserve, just need to grow it!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
several years ago i had issues from some lids from the store brand that were blowing off the jars during processing. took them back as i'd not had that problem before. exchanged for others and we were ok. not had a similar problem since. mostly i use the name brand Ball lids for anything i've had to do a lot of work to grow and put up. other bulk items or things i put in the freezer i will use the cheaper lids (and reuse them as often as i can before recycling). i think we're close to having enough supply of lids already for the coming season but will do a count soon to see what's what. will look for lids at the store when we get back there to see if they've managed to keep any in stock. have another option for buying supplies at another two stores but the prices are higher enough i'll only check them in an emergency.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I found off brand made in USA lids at an bulk food store. The seal is blue. I bought a pack (5 dozen for $16) because the seal is thick. The china lids worked fine but that seal is so thin I still dont trust them.I should be set for the next season and have those plan B Tattlers I've still not tried!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just canned 3 pints of beef with onions, 3 pints of chicken chunks and 1 pint of beef broth.
I have been reading up on the Presto Electric Pressure Canner. I am really tempted to get it - mostly for the ease of set and forget. It seems once you have the thing loaded, all you have to do it push the button to start it and let it work. No more sitting in the kitchen for 2 hours watching the weight dance ...
I think I would use it for canning meats and beans, since I don't can a lot of them at a time and they take so long.

Anyone use an electric pressure canner? Are you happy with it?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@tortoise - didn't you get one?
I got the Presto digital electric pressure canner. I love it because I'm not stressing out if the weight is jiggling just right for the whole processing time like with my other canner. I keep my big weighted pressure canner in case of a bumper crop, but I prefer the smaller canner. i usually process 3 quarts at a time.

Latest posts