WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Presto digital pressure canner is currently the only one that is safe. I was happy to pay much more and wait for months to get it because of this.

The unit I use, the Carey(Nesco)Pressure Canner/Cooker is also safe. It is a pressure canner as well as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, browning unit,and can also be used as a water bath canner. Here is the link to the unit. I agree that people need to make sure they can in a pressure CANNER and not a unit that is only a pressure cooker

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One thing I noticed about the Presto, it has a nonstick coating, but nowhere did it say what the material is. My multi cookers all have ceramic coating. I sent an email to Presto to ask, and here is their response:

D7585980-0A91-43EB-BC1F-5404D1040ACD.jpeg

I have birds, so I got rid of all my Teflon pans years ago. Now I only buy things that are PFOA and PTFE free. (That is, ceramic) I wouldn’t be surprised if there were bad chemicals in the ceramic coating as well, but it hasn’t harmed my birds, so I will assume it’s not putting out any fumes. I did specifically ask in my email if the coating was ceramic, and their response tells me it must not be. I will be holding off buying a Presto until I no longer have birds, or at least until it’s been on the market long enough for there to be some anecdotal evidence on whether it’s safe around birds.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wild hare of an idea. Looking at giving a go at canning mushrooms. There is a local place growing them, might give it a try.

if you have the time and resources i don't see why not give it a go. :) around here we don't have enough mushrooms in season to can them. we do eat a lot of store-bought canned mushrooms, but i don't think we could beat the price canning others. it would have to be a nearly free gift of tons of mushrooms to make me want to do it. oh, and yeah, they should be pressure canned if low acid.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
if you have the time and resources i don't see why not give it a go. :) around here we don't have enough mushrooms in season to can them. we do eat a lot of store-bought canned mushrooms, but i don't think we could beat the price canning others. it would have to be a nearly free gift of tons of mushrooms to make me want to do it. oh, and yeah, they should be pressure canned if low acid.
I understand your point on the cost. For us, it's not about the cost (whether or not if it's cheaper). It's about controlling what is used in the process due to the wife's issues so as not to aggravate her condition.

Yes, pressure canning is a must. The prep work is minimal, this is on the list for the next round of canning

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
How about dehydrating them? I might try that next time I shop, just "because". Of course, I'd suspect freeze drying would be best. Don't have one of those and not on my buy list. 🤣

Let us know how the canning goes.
Mushrooms dehydrate well! I like to dehydrate them and then slowly rehydrate them in a cream reduction sauce. Makes an amazing cream of mushroom soup. You'll never go back to Campbell's after having the real thing!