WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm starting to see canning stuff in stock, but spotty and selling fast.

I saw kilmer lids at one store and Ball lids with rings at another. I passed. I'm set on lids, but I hope to add some jars. I forget what size I ran out of...

I wonder if canners can restock before mid-summer and it will all settle down?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Navy and garbanzo beans processing now! I have enough garbanzo beans ready to run another batch when this one is done. 😊

Feels good to prep the beans carefully to get excess phytates out and to not have acids and "firming agents" in my food. I'm not saving money canning these, but I'm getting healthier food by doing it. 😊

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Second batch of garbanzo beans processing now! First batch all pinged. 😁 7 pints done, 7 in process. About a pint leftover to practice a hummus recipe with 👍
Canner error on second batch. Reprocessing. Garbanzo beans are destined to become hummus so it should be okay to cook them into oblivion! 😅

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My local WM has a good supply of canning items. I have plenty of lids for this season to fill every jar!! 🤪 :love but I still buy a couple dz lids every couple weeks to stash. The wides are 3.48 here. Like all else, way higher than used to be. Both DD and DGD work there, so I can get their discount 😊. It helps. I have beans I need to get canned just to have ready to use. They were close out priced due to a store reset.

That's another thing that's gone through the roof...dried bean prices. Used to get a pound bag under a dollar. Now, almost double that.