WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
14 pints of potatoes in the canner. 10 pounds of chicken cut up, waiting for its turn. That is my limit today
12 pints of chicken processing now. The wife did most of the jar packing and is getting more and more comfortable with the fact a minor imperfection in the process won't ruin the whole batch. ❤️
Taters are pinging

Attachments

• 20220514_210648.jpg
    20220514_210648.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 66

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what do you guys think of canned ground beef? ive never tried it. so far just chicken and rabbit and sometimes theres a wierd taste. im running our of room in the freezer and got ALOT more meat coming in

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at canning ground beef. I was kind of worried about just canning plain ground beef crumbles so I haven't tried it yet. I used 5 lbs to make taco soup and canned that yesterday. DH was my sampler and he liked it.

I also did some gr. beef patties yesterday, but only two jars. I mixed some carmelized onions and some garlic salt in the meat but didn't get more adventurous than that. Poured beef stock over 'em and canned 'em up. They look ok but haven't tasted 'em other than the sample one that I cooked in the microwave. It was good.

I still have more ground beef to can so I may do some more patties in pint jars so I can open one and try 'em after they're canned. I think I'll mix some dry onion soup mix in the ground beef along with the carmelized onions and then use more onion soup to cover the patties with. When we eat 'em I'll make some mushroom gravy out of the soup that's in the jars and pretend it's something like salsbury steak, lol.

@FarmerJamie - you're the guinea pig for crumbles I guess.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Pork loins cubed, waiting for the dishwasher to finish sterilizing the jars.
Shocked at how my meat trimming knife skills have atrophied. Need to get back into practice
The one loin had a good eight inches at one end that was very little loin and mostly whatever the the next sequential meat cut is named. After consultation with the wife, we will turn that hunk of pig into some BBQ for dinner.

Latest posts