WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, out of curiosity. How do y’all just can leftovers? Do you just pressure can or what? Before I started canning I was very thoroughly warned to follow recipes and exact times or risk death. Which sounds extreme now that I type it. But, seriously, how do you know how much time, what pressure, and what is safe to can?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can it according to the recommended times. For instance, I'm making taco soup today. I guess technically it would be a "leftover" since I'm cooking it first. I'll still can it for 90 minutes for quarts and/or 75 minutes for pints.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okay, out of curiosity. How do y’all just can leftovers? Do you just pressure can or what? Before I started canning I was very thoroughly warned to follow recipes and exact times or risk death. Which sounds extreme now that I type it. But, seriously, how do you know how much time, what pressure, and what is safe to can?

well it is risking death if you don't know what you're doing and make some mistakes - and i don't think that consideration or warning is extreme at all. botulism or other problems with some foods can be fatal or make people really sick. while it all can be done safely it is still worth treating this as a very serious thing to do which should be studied as to why you do certain things with some foods and certain things with other foods and what those important differences are.

one reason why i do not do any pressure canning is that we don't really have room for the equipment and we also normally just freeze portions of things that can then later be reheated. that's worked well enough for us and i like to keep it simple. :)

we avoid canning any items which don't have enough acid in them - that also makes it much more simple.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I follow the Ball Canning books. The only thing I know that can't be home canned is pumpkin

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That makes total sense. It sounded like you were making just a pot of soup and canning extras. Using the recipe makes more sense. Brain day lol.
I know on the canned pumpkin. It’s so unfortunate, I love canned pumpkin to bake with. At least it usually goes on sale.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom freezes soup leftovers. Put them in freezer ziplock baggy.
I've done that before too. I'm out of freezer space... As soon as I get this sale meat canned - I'll need to start canning stuff out of the freezer - so I'll have more room for sale meat, lol! :lol:

Latest posts