WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Boneless pork loins are $1.49 per pound this week at a local place. Guess we will be canning some up this weekend, too.
On sale here too along with spareribs. Anybody ever can spareribs? I think I want to try it at some point. DH would probably have a conniption if I brought home any more meat at this point. Freezers are FULL! But if it goes straight into the canner it won't take up any room in the freezer, right? Works for me

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
On sale here too along with spareribs. Anybody ever can spareribs? I think I want to try it at some point. DH would probably have a conniption if I brought home any more meat at this point. Freezers are FULL! But if it goes straight into the canner it won't take up any room in the freezer, right? Works for me
Dumb question. Pork loin is different from ham. What recipes would you use for eating loin cubes?

This is going to determine how much we buy.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grind it, brown it, then can it? Then can be used like ground beef. I'm thinking pork tacos would work well with it. Loin is so lean. We usually just eat it as chops.

I prefer pork shoulder because I smoke it. I'm going to try canning some pulled pork up this year.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since pork loin is the back strap on a pig - it's a primo cut and so versatile. If I cook it fresh we'll have it like chops or roast it whole. But, I've canned it in chunks and made stew with it, or quick carnitas or shredded it for anything like tacos or enchiladas. You could even make hash with it and some of those potatoes you're canning. Grinding it would work too - especially at that price. Now I'm going to have to go buy some. And ribs. And some chicken leg quarters for 0.37 a pound. DH is gonna just have to deal with it, lol!

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I came in to find 2 flats of strawberries, my wife standing at the counter cutting tops, my older granddaughter standing beside her with roller skates on, cutting them into quarters and my younger granddaughter sitting at the table with a potato masher and a bowl.

I asked my younger granddaughter, what are you doin? She said I'm smashing strawberries, silly Pawpaw. Then I asked are they good? She said oh yes, they are very good. I said boy they sure must be good. I grabbed a dish rag out of the drawer and got it wet and wiped her face, chin and neck and hand. She's smashing strawberries alright 🤣

This is what they created, my wife said strawberries preserves. I said any recipe? She said nope, the taste buds tell me what's right and wrong. I must admit they are very good, delicious even 😋 my wife was happy they set up good 👍
Screenshot_20220511-223429~2.png

We sent the granddaughters home with a quart of strawberries each. I'll be surprised if they make it till lunch time tomorrow 👍 Everybody's happy, even the chickens that got strawberry tops.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grind it, brown it, then can it? Then can be used like ground beef. I'm thinking pork tacos would work well with it. Loin is so lean. We usually just eat it as chops.

I prefer pork shoulder because I smoke it. I'm going to try canning some pulled pork up this year.

My wife makes pulled pork butt in a huge crockpot. It's always more than we can eat and she cans the remainder. I really don't miss smoked pork butt to much. Whatever she does in the crockpot is just as good and tender juicy. I do remember her adding a few drops of liquid smoke to the crockpot. Maybe that's why I don't miss smoked pork butt to much.

Now smoked and pulled bourbon red turkey, that's a completely different story. But if she had a big enough crockpot, I believe she would try a whole pulled crockpot turkey.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸