WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't usually reply to myself but I found a recipe-So I'll share-:)

BREAD-IN-A-JAR FOR GIFT GIVING
Printed from COOKS.COM
This recipe is easy to do, but the instructions must be followed exactly. The nicest thing about giving Bread-In-A-Jar is that those who receive it can keep it until they get over the holiday food blahs.
Bake in pint size wide mouth canning jar with the cap barely tightened (very loose), seal immediately upon removing from the oven. It will keep on the shelf for up to two weeks or frozen right in the jar for up to one year.
Remove jars from the oven one at a time. When jars have cooled enough to handle, tighten the tops. As jars cool, they will seal.
2/3 c. shortening
2 2/3 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 c. canned pumpkin
2/3 c. water
3 1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. nuts
Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, pumpkin and water. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Add to pumpkin mixture into greased wide mouth pint jars, filling half full.
Bake at 325F for 45 minutes. When done, remove one jar at a time, wipe sealing edge with paper towel or cloth and screw cap on tightly. The heat will vacuum seal the jar and the bread will keep up to one year.
Makes 8 pints.
VARIATIONS:
Substitute for pumpkin, one of the following:
2 cups shredded apples or carrots
1 bag whole ground fresh cranberries
1 can whole cranberry sauce
1 3/4 cup applesauce plus 1/4 cup pineapple
1 3/4 cup applesauce plus 1/4 cup raisins
2 cups mashed bananas
2 cups apricot
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 cups chopped fresh peaches

unaspenser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the bread info!

The story about the old canning jars was so poignant. I remember when my grandpa passed... he was a fisherman and would can fish (both smoked and cooked) every year, along with produce from his garden. For several years after he died we continued to enjoy his bounty, and it made the parting a little easier. I still have some of his jars with the labels carefully left on to remind me of him. <3

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Anyone heard of Banana Butter?? DH stumbled upon a recipe and we canned 3 pints today. There was about 3/4 of a pint left over, so its in the fridge for tomorrow's toast! Pre-canning taste test...mmmmmm, yummy! Should be good on a peanut butter sandwich! :p

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Sounds fantastic !!!

I am glad you posted because I always forget to.

Today: 12 pints Sloppy Joe sauce and 17 individual meatloaves.

Tomorrow, in case I forget, 5 packages of 6 beef smoked sausage, which I got for 98 cents each. Not sure how many pints that will be !

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One batch of Strawberry Rhubarb freezer jam... no idea how much it will be, I've never made it before, just a few pints I think... does that still count as canning if it doesn't go in the water bath?

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a question for you ladies. I have limited jars and may have limited tomatoes coming in. I have tomatoe blight so after first batch of tomatoes I may not get much more if I loose to many leaves. Any ways I am wanting to can as many as possible. I was going to can whole tomatoes and sauce so I could make spagettii sauce through the year. I am thinking now it would be wiser and go further just to make the spagettii sauce and can it. What are your thoughts and how do you normally save tomatoes? If anyone makes the spagetti sauce and cans it any recipes?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
last year, I did crushed tomatoes and halved tomatoes. I found the versatility of the crushed tomatoes preferable. with it, I coluld make many things over the winter.

JM$0.02

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I did sauce (Blue Book has a good recipe) and also peeled/quartered tomatoes. Still using the sauce for goulash, spaghetti, lasagna, etc, and the quartered tomatoes I use in chili, stew, goulash, even just heating them up to eat plain. You can also try ketchup.