WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I think it was the day before yesterday, I canned seven quarts of chiken pot pit filling.

I am having a problem actually using my food. All I can think of was how hard it was to do, and I can't open the jars!
When I first started canning I didn't want to open my jars of food either. I wanted to have it all sitting on the shelf looking real pretty. I have finally come to realize that we can eat the food we can now..lol..it does make room for empty jars that do need filling and I just love canning so-oooo much that I look for things to can all the time. It's just so satisfying and fun.. Open them jars and eat up so you can fill them jars up again..lol:cool:

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today, tomatoes with green chili pepper. Tomorrow, sweet pickled jalapeno. I obviously got a great deal at the local Mexican grocery;)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
Today, tomatoes with green chili pepper. Tomorrow, sweet pickled jalapeno. I obviously got a great deal at the local Mexican grocery;)
I hear you there, I stop by and check out our Mexican/American grocery store all the time, I am always amazed that they want 1.99 a pound or more at Safeway or Kroger's for bell peppers and I can get them for a quarter in season (grown in USA) there. I went 2 weeks ago and most produce was 3 pounds for a dollar, I got bananas, oranges and apples, and avocados at that price. Plus they sell the most fantastic in house made tortillas :D

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wheat bread :D I am a bit skeptical but the chick on you tube says it works :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a couple recipes for quick breads that bake right in the jar. Mostly designed as Christmas and hostess gifts. But they do work and stay very moist.

g

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep.. bake in the jar, heat your lids.. as soon as they come out of the oven, put your lids on and wait for the happy "tink" sound... or so the you tube chick says :)

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello ladies garden is in and praying for abundance. I had a great score today just had to stop and share. I was given 78 pints 21 quarts and 3 jelly jars. The man that gave them to me had them in an old barn still full and said I could take as many as I liked so I liked all LOL. I walked into the barn and all kinds of treasures from long ago adorned the barn. Must have been his mothers items put there after she pasted. Old cooking spoons and small wooden cloths line. I brought home my prize and started cleaning them and had to stop to share my fealings with someone who would understand. First off never leave rings on lesson learned after time they rust and are very hard to remove. These were canned in the early 1980's. As I was doing this I thought of the old woman canning them that long ago so lovingly for her family. I felt like I was committing some canning sin agaist her. I am sure as she put her harvest up she did not realize that in the future some stranger would be dumping them into a trash can to have the jars. The jars were not the valuable thing at that time the food was and now it was the jars I was holding the value on. I feel that way when I am canning for my family. I am thinking of the enjoyment we will get from eating them. I am sure we all do. So I had to add a tribute today to all the women who work so hard to bring in a harvest and put up the harvest for the love of their family. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY