WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@thefunnyfarm said:
I have a question for you ladies. I have limited jars and may have limited tomatoes coming in. I have tomatoe blight so after first batch of tomatoes I may not get much more if I loose to many leaves. Any ways I am wanting to can as many as possible. I was going to can whole tomatoes and sauce so I could make spagettii sauce through the year. I am thinking now it would be wiser and go further just to make the spagettii sauce and can it. What are your thoughts and how do you normally save tomatoes? If anyone makes the spagetti sauce and cans it any recipes?
I prefer tomatoes canned whole or quartered. They're more versatile that way. I can get them out and make almost any recipe, sauce, etc. I always do a few quarts each of tomatoes/okra or tomatoes/okra/corn for soup bases or to put over rice, and few quarts of tomatoes/peppers/onions for starting chili recipes.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I roasted my tomatoes with garlic,onions sometimes peppers, olive oil,herbs, salt and pepper. Put them in a roaster pan, bake @ about 400 degrees until nicely done and some liquid dissapates. Even with the skins..I did whirl some in the processor for soup. Then canned them. Delicious!

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
home made bbq sauce 4 pints.
Lady would be interested in the strawberry lemonade concentrate
is it homemade? recipe maybe ;)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Eggs, apple butter and chicken and dumplings were on todays canning list.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used this recipe ( with my own added seasonings) for the eggs. ( 7 Quart Canning method )
Allows unrefrigerated storage in a cool, dark basement.

Canning Method:

If you are making many quarts of pickled eggs and would like to CAN them, such that they do not require refrigeration until opened, then follow these instructions:

- Use 1 Quart Canning Jars, Rings and Self-Sealing Lids (Like Mason Jars)
- Follow the manufacturers instructions for Lid Preparation (some require boiling the lids)
- Sterilize Jars, Rings and Lids

Preparation:

Boil and peel 8 Dozen Eggs (even though you are canning 7 dozen, sometimes you can fit 13 eggs in a jar or some eggs will be damaged during boiling or peeling process)

Never use an egg that is damaged. The surface of the egg should be flawless to prevent Clostridium botulinum from entering the egg.

If you use the ice trick to peel the eggs, you will want to re-heat the peeled eggs before packing them in jars. Place the peeled eggs back into a pot of water and raise the temperature of the water to 200 degrees to kill any bacterium on the surface of the eggs. ( I cut this recipe in half and it appears to have worked out just as well)

The chicken and dumplings was of my own trial. I am convinced that the reason it works is because we use whole wheat flour only. No white bleached , horribly treated flour in this house! Here is the thread here on chicken and dumplings.. with the recipe and method I used. http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5461

I dont even normally add them to the "what are you canning today "thread since they dont stay in the jar for more than a few weeks. I think I need to hide a jar or two from my guys so i can get a good idea of how they are after a month, 6 months or a year. They seem to think a quart of them is a 'good lunch'

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The rest of the egg recipe.. its late, cut me some slack ;)

In another pot, bring about a gallon of water to 200 degrees F (this will be used to cover the jars later)

Create the Brine:

In a Large Pot, Combine and boil the following:

15 Cups vinegar (5% acidity)
3/4 cup canning salt (non-iodized)
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground mustard
3 1/2 teaspoons dill seed or 7 sprigs of dill weed
5 to 7 Cloves garlic sliced thin
5 to 7 Jalepenos sliced thin

Stir and bring to 200 degrees F.
Packing and Canning the eggs:
Strain the Dill, Garlic and Jalepeno out of the brine solution and distribute evenly inside your 7 jars.
Bring the canning bath water to 200F.
Remove each jar from the bath and pack each jar with 12 to 13, peeled, blemish free, piping HOT eggs.
Stir the brine and fill the jar carefully with the vinegar solution at 200F. There needs to be enough solution to cover the eggs completely. Leave as little air space at the top as you can. (about 1/2 inch) Yeast and mold can grow in the air space under some conditions.
Apply a lid to the jar and snug a ring down, but do not over-tighten the ring. Air needs to escape during the canning bath & pasteurization process
Return the jar to the canning bath and repeat this process for all 7 jars.
After all 7 jars are packed and in the canning bath, make sure there is at least 1 to 2 inches of water above the tops of the jars. If there is not, add hot water to cover the jars.
Keep the jars in the canning bath until the temperature of the liquid in each jar gets above 180F. This is usually accomplished by bringing the canning bath water to a strong rolling boil, and then keeping the jars in the boiling water for an additional 15 minutes.
Remove the jars from the canning bath and place on the counter to cool
After the Jars have cooled, inspect each jar to ensure a proper seal. If the lids did not seal, remove the lid and check for any debri and clean if necessary. Either recan them using the instructions above, or immediately place in the refrigerator to be consumed within the next few weeks.
Following this method should allow you to store the canned jars of eggs in a cool, dark basement for up to 6 months. We have routinely stored our canned pickled eggs for up to a year with no problems.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, that's great! My husband has been wanting me to try and can him some pickled eggs since I have to buy them for him so much. He Loves them! I will definately try this . Thanks so much for sharing.

Kim