WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nothing today (last full day with the grandkids) but need to get some beans canned. I keep buying 'em, and never think to cook 'em in time for dinner so thinking I need to spend some time getting some processed.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So much easier to can them up at one time for several meals made ahead.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Question...

My fermented pickles are ready. I would like to can them in 1/2 gallon jars for long term storage. I have 2x 5 gallon buckets about 8 or so gallons of pickles and brine.

I was reading on on the National Center for Home Food Preservation website and they say you can can fermented pickles but they recommend that the pickles orginally be fermented with some vinegar added. My brine is just water and salt.

Do you think I should add vinegar a the rate they recommend to the brine after I pack the jars with pickles and the pour the brine into the jars and water-bath as recommended?

When we make kraut basically the same way we never added any vinegar to the brine while fermenting the cabbage or to the bine before we can it.

I'm so confused...

National Center for Home Food Preservation / dill pickles --->
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/dill_pickles.html

Here's pictures of my fermented pickles. They are really good and sour and crunchy.
IMG_20170810_205950677_TOP.jpg

IMG_20170810_210514480.jpg

IMG_20170810_210649407.jpg

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can't answer about the pickles -- probably someone else knows.

I went to a produce auction last night. Every Thurs there is one, sponsored by some Ag Dept in VA. But, farmers & locals with huge gardens can bring produce to sell. Had wanted to go before & never got there. It so happens that a local County Fair had begun & buyers were fewer. There were MANY there who bought to supply their own markets in other locations....some were 30-50 miles away in high residential areas, others bought for own canning use. The prices were lower with less competition.

ANYWAY -- They have pallets of fresh produce, boxed nicely in smaller containers, baskets, etc. You bid -- then you say I want all, those 3, etc. A pallet may have 6 boxes of all one thing or 2 zukes, 2 squash, etc. If a veg with huge disparity then they will say...tomatoes, sell theml, then next veg, etc.

I bought some HUGE green peppers that ended up costing 25 cent each....about 3 doz...some eggplant, lovely ones, about same per large fruit. THEN....I was bidding on some silver queen corn. These were pkg at a doz per bag & aprox 100 bags in the bin. The bid up to $4 a bag. NO...too much for me. Person takes several, they ask anyone else, a few more take a few each at same price. So, when everyone done, auctioneer rebids. No one is buying, so I jump in & get them at 1.25 a bag. I'm good with 10 an ear! BUT what I did not hear is that this was for the balance of bags in the lot. I am now the proud owner of 30 bags!!!!! That is 360 ears of corn:oops:-- pay attention girl!!! Found a couple others who took some from me at that price....geesh, don't need all....goats will get a dozen this AM....a few doz dropped @DS.

and I will be cutting and canning tonight!!!!!!:lol: It is very fresh and nice.

Went to size up what was happening, thinking I may do a large garden next year with intent to sell some to cover the costs of doing. Some farmers who had CSAs brought overages and sold. Generally, prices were good for them. Last night huge watermelons went for about 50 cent each. Who needs 100?? But they also sold some individually when you got to the pallets that had smaller quantities. Overall, you buy at a "wholesale" price. Great if you want a bushel to process & not have to plow, plant & wait! Plus a good place to network with those who do have sales markets, or only want to do home canning & could be buyers.

FUN though. :clap

Swede

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Table 1. Recommended process time for Apricots, halved or sliced in a boiling-water canner.

Process Time at Altitudes of
Style of Pack
Jar Size 0 - 1,000 ft 1,001 - 3,000 ft 3,001 - 6,000 ft Above 6,000 ft
Hot
Pints 20 min 25 30 35
Quarts 25 30 35 40
Raw
Pints 25 30 35 40
Quarts 30 35 40 45

Table 2. Process Times for Apricots (Halved or Sliced) in a Dial-Gauge Pressure Canner.
Canner Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of
Style of Pack
Jar Size Process Time (Min) 0 - 2,000 ft 2,001 - 4,000 ft 4,001 - 6,000 ft 6,001 - 8,000 ft
Hot
and Raw Pints or Quarts 10 6 7 8 9

Table 3. Process Times for Apricots (Halved or Sliced) in a Weighted-Gauge Pressure Canner.
Canner Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of
Style of Pack
Jar Size Process Time (Min) 0 - 1,000 ft Above 1,000 ft
Hot
and Raw Pints
or Quarts 10 5 10

Latest posts