WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you, one more question-do I need to skim off the fat in bone broth when canning it? My USDA book says yes, but I would like to keep some of it. Is it ok to pressure can that way. (I have only ever frozen bone broth-thanks)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the dangers of leaving a lot of fat in there is that it will get between the jar and the lid and prevent a good seal. The chicken broth that I canned ended up with a thin layer of fat on it after cooling, and I had one jar that did not seal.

Other reasons to remove most of the fat from canned foods (that I found online):
Fat can go rancid - even in properly canned foods. So be careful when using something canned with high fat and use it up sooner rather than later.

It also acts as an insulator, so you may not get the contents up to the necessary temp for the right amount of time. This can allow spoilage to happen.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Canned jars of potato, carrot, onion....will have for side or prepped to use in soup/stew, etc. Used up some little this & that stragglers. 👍. 4 qts cooling.

IMG_20220923_180942624.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cooler for a day or two. I have a LOT of dried beans that I'm thinking I'd like to can up. So nice to have ready for a fast fix...not hours to cook.👍. Plus not a huge pot of them to deal with when you don't want to. 😀. Kidney, great northern, pinto, black -- take your pick! Some split pea, too. 🤷 I'm stocked up! Good fiber and protein. Bought on sale few months back.

A couple dz more ears of corn to process, also.

@frustratedearthmother how'd you can your caramelized onion? Cooked, jarred and then? I have a few pounds 😃

How'd I get all this late season garden stuff ? -- friends who are tired if it!! :lol: :celebrate

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - You're going like gangbusters!
I think this is the recipe I used. Pretty simple!

I think I'm going to try canning pork-n beans (for the first time) today and then some more charro beans. Then I really need to get some meat out of the freezer and into jars.