WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did strawberry jam and watermelon jelly yesterday. Someone a few pages back asked about watermelon jelly, so here's what I did (winging it, but I think it turned out pretty tasty): chop up a watermelon (red part only, no rind) into 1 inch cubes until you have about 6-7 cups. Puree in blender, strain through cheesecloth to end up with 3 cups juice. (I ended up with extra juice, so you may be able to use less watermelon.) Put juice in pot with 1 box pectin and 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice. Bring to a boil, add 5 cups sugar, bring to a boil that can't be stirred down, boil for one minute, remove from heat. Skim off foam, transfer to jars, water-bath process for 10 minutes. This made about 50 oz. or so.

For those rinds you didn't use -- try cinnamon watermelon rind pickles, from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving :
16 c. sliced, peeled watermelon rind (peel the dark green part off and discard), cut into 1 x 2 inch pieces
1 c. canning salt
6 c. sugar
4 c. white vinegar
3 cinnamon sticks, about 4 in. each, broken in half (six 2-in. pieces)

Day 1: In a large crock, glass bowl, or stainless steel bowl, layer watermelon rind, salt, and 4 c. cold water. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Day 2: Drain rind; rinse well. Combine rind with 4 c. fresh water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently until rind is fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Combine sugar, vinegar, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes, until cinnamon has infused the liquid. Add rind, return to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until rind is translucent. Discard cinnamon sticks. Transfer to jars, leaving a half inch of headspace. Water-bath process for 10 minutes. Makes about 4 to 5 pint jars.

I haven't tried these yet -- hopefully they are good. :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I canned plums, peaches and apples.
The plums I just prick with a fork a few times and drop in the jar. Then I fill the jar with lightly sweetened hot water. I don't put too many plums in the jar, since I am really making plum juice, which I love to drink.
I made peach sauce, since the peaches were very ripe.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
6 quarts and 7 pints of tomato sauce. Pretty good for tomato plants fighting for their lives :p

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone can green chili peppers? I'm wondering if you have to peel them first.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Does canning "Ice Tea" count?
IceTea2.jpg

It is truly a Golden Harvest
IceTea1.jpg

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did peaches yesterday. 16 -1/2 pints , 6 pints of jam. 4 quarts of some kind of spices whole fruit.

Today its tomato sauce. I think I have about 16 quarts.

I'm calling it quits.

g

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dropping in to say hi, yall have been busy, I myself have been a slacker, have not canned anything yet, I do plan to make jellies though, just have to get it done!!! Lynn

Latest posts