WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Greetings:

I just got my pressure canner. I'm hoping to make low-sugar fruit spreads for my diabetic DH. And I'll be canning things like applesauce and beef stock and chicken stock etc.

In the canning book, it says that jellys and jams and the like should be boiling-water canned instead of pressure canned.

Can someone explain why? And what would happen if I pressure canned it instead?

Note: I got no-sugar pectin so I can use that for the jellies.
You and do BWB with your pressure canner. Just don't use the gauge or seal the lid.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Have a question!!! What is the difference in the dough for noodles and/or dumplins???? How many cups of flour per egg for noodles??? Egg, flour and salt!!! Right???? Lynn :cool:

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I canned 12 pints of homemade beef stock. They are still in the pressure canner cooling down now. My first time!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put another load of apple sauce through the WBC yesterday; that should hold us for awhile.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I need to get my blackberry juice (frozen) canned into jam, and I'd like to try out a pickled pumpkin recipe with my storage butternut squash :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I am trying a new recipes today. I thought this looked good. I have always wanted to have refried beans on hand this seems like a good way to do it.

http://thebeginningfarmerswife.blogspot.com/2008/06/canning-refriedburrito-beans.html

Yesterday I set my pintos to soak. With some whey. :D But please tell me if my math is off. She said in the recipe to use 1 1/2 cups of beans per quart. After soaking the 6 lbs of beans I think I have way to much. I was figuring 2 C per 1 lb bag. Every 2 quarts needs 3 cups. So for 10 quarts I think I soaked like 5 or 6 lbs of pintos. But I am starting to think this is and after soaking measurement not prior. If you get my meaning.

I have a HUGE pot of beans. Well I guess I could load the canner twice. I better get started early.

g

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Beans usually triple in size at least. So a little cup of beans will be about 3 or 4 cups cooked. ;)

I usually don't can my beans, I just cook up a BIG old batch at a time until they are good and done with a bit of garlic, onion, pepper and salt. When they are finished I portion them (2 cups per bag) into quart ziplocks and freeze them for later use in cooking. Maybe you could do that with the extra. :)