WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Made 5 1/2 pints of raspberry jam on Saturday. Over Christmas vacation we made about 6 quarts of applesauce- a mixture of Fujis and golden delicious and about 4 pints of apple butter.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
ORChick said:
Got a question for all you canners. I have some apples that I need to do something with. I also have a recipe for a nice savory applesauce, with onions, currents, and herbs. It is really nice alongside meat. I am wondering about the canning possibilities. I think the only thing that makes it different from regular applesauce (from a canning perspective) is the sauteed onions. What would your opinions be on this? Especially as to canning time. Thanks.
How much onion compared to quantity of apples? If it's not too much, you may be able to increase acidity with lemon juice or citric acid.
The two issues are viscosity of the fluid, which effects how heat circulates aroudn inside the jar, and the conduction of heat into the bits in the jar. I don't think onion bits will change the viscosity and if the bits of onion are very small, I don't think you have to change the time at all. I did 15 min at 10 psi for pint jar, according to the guide in the All American manual:

Page 31, www.allamerican-chefsdesign.com/admin/FileUploads/Product_46.pdf

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My comments about acidity relate to the fact that I water bath can my apple sauce. If she has a pressure canner, she's all set :)

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a question about some soup that I canned... It was bean with bacon soup and when I took the lid off of the pressure canner I noticed that during the processing that some of the soup had come out and ran down some of the jars. They all sealed and it's been about 3 months and they are still sealed... You think that they are safe?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
I have a question about some soup that I canned... It was bean with bacon soup and when I took the lid off of the pressure canner I noticed that during the processing that some of the soup had come out and ran down some of the jars. They all sealed and it's been about 3 months and they are still sealed... You think that they are safe?
Sometimes jars exhaust some of their contents, usually when there are sudden pressure changes either during processing (as you adjust the burner temperature to maintain pressure) or if the canner cools quickly. As long as the jars are sealed, the contents are safe :)

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
kimnkell said:
Sometimes jars exhaust some of their contents, usually when there are sudden pressure changes either during processing (as you adjust the burner temperature to maintain pressure) or if the canner cools quickly. As long as the jars are sealed, the contents are safe :)
Good... I always thought as long as they were sealed it would be okay but wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
moolie said:
ORChick said:
Got a question for all you canners. I have some apples that I need to do something with. I also have a recipe for a nice savory applesauce, with onions, currents, and herbs. It is really nice alongside meat. I am wondering about the canning possibilities. I think the only thing that makes it different from regular applesauce (from a canning perspective) is the sauteed onions. What would your opinions be on this? Especially as to canning time. Thanks.
How much onion compared to quantity of apples? If it's not too much, you may be able to increase acidity with lemon juice or citric acid.
The two issues are viscosity of the fluid, which effects how heat circulates aroudn inside the jar, and the conduction of heat into the bits in the jar. I don't think onion bits will change the viscosity and if the bits of onion are very small, I don't think you have to change the time at all. I did 15 min at 10 psi for pint jar, according to the guide in the All American manual:

Page 31, www.allamerican-chefsdesign.com/admin/FileUploads/Product_46.pdf
Thanks moolie and k15n1. The recipe calls for 1 medium onion in small dice to about 8 apples (+ 1/4 c. of currants soaked in brandy or apple juice, 1 tsp. chopped thyme, some white pepper, a spoonful of sugar if needed, and some grated lemon zest - just in case anyone would like to try it :lol:) I would be pressure canning it. As the onion would be cooked/sauteed before adding to the apples I think that k15n1's recommendation should be good. I was just having a bit of trouble making the leap to pressure canning the sauce, as usually I just waterbath applesauce (but without the added onions etc). Sometimes I need that extra nudge to think outside the box :rolleyes:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol, I hear you on that one :) (since I also assumed water bath canning) :rolleyes:

Can you post the recipe? It sounds wonderful :)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Dreaming of Chickens said:
Made some marmalade last week and it came out too think. It's almost like candy. I guess I cooked it too long before processing it. I'll give it another try tonight or tomorrow. I still have plenty of oranges left. I also finally ordered a pressure canner, so I will be keeping my eyes open for chicken and ground meat on sale. Wanna can some chicken, chicken broth, chilli, meat sauce, maybe some meat balls. I can't wait!
I made some marmalade like that last year! I recently used some as a glaze on a ham and also used some as a basis for sweet and sour sauce. Both came out excellent!!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
Lol, I hear you on that one :) (since I also assumed water bath canning) :rolleyes:

Can you post the recipe? It sounds wonderful :)
It is :lol:. I don't *do* sweet very well (much to DH's disgust), so I usually make plain applesauce without any added sweetening, and sweeten for him when I open the jar. This recipe not only is not sweet, but adds the extra savory character of onions and thyme.
I got it from a library book some time ago, and I'm sorry that I can't give proper credit for it.

1/4 cup currants, soaked in Calvados, brandy, or apple juice
1 medium onion, in small dice, sauteed gently till soft (do not let brown)
Add 8 large cooking apples, peeled and chopped, and cook till tender. Stir in:
1-2 Tbls sugar, or to taste (depending on apples, I would leave this out) (Sauce should not be very sweet)
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or about 1/2 tsp dried)
A few grinds of white pepper (lacking white, use black, but be aware that there will be specks in the sauce)
1/4 tsp grated lemon zest, if you like and if you have it

When sauce is to your liking either mash with a potato masher, or puree. Stir in the currants with as much of the soaking liquid as desired. Serve hot.

Bon apetite!

(I'll be making this tomorrow to go with a pork roast. Extra will find its way into the canner. I'll let you know how it turns out)

Edited to say that I will cook this minimally, take out what is needed for tomorrow's dinner (to cook further), and then can the not quite finished rest. Just to avoid having an overcooked sauce (from the pressure).

Latest posts